Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Standard vs Trane

Post Likes
    hello all:
    I'm now faced with a choice of possibly going with an American Standard since the Trane guy couldn't locate a XR11 Heat Pump.

Is the AS - Freedom 80 single stage comparable to XR80 or XB80?
    Is the AS - Heritage 11SEER comparable to XR11 heat pump?

Essentially - what is the difference in features/quality if any between American Standard and Trane for these models?
    what would be the reason to pick one over the other?
    Is American Std better known than Trane or is it the other way round? This is particularly important because if they are about the same price but a prospective buyer is likely to know one better than the other...

thanks in advance
    -shaum

[Edited by shaum76 on 11-05-2005 at 08:36 PM]

Senior Tech Guest
    No pricing questions allowed....go 13 seer, you'll be a better and richer man in the long run.

Post Likes
    AS owns Trane.

Quality should be the same. Price may be up or down between dealers.

Post Likes

isn't there any difference?

is Trane better known than AS?

it looks like the Freedom 80 is closer to XR80 than XB80 - in terms of features and warranty...

and along the same lines the Heritage 11 must be closer to XR11 than any other model.

I believe Trane has stopped manufacturing below 13SEER units.
    Does anyone know if AS has stopped too?

Post Likes
    well since both trane and as are built in the same plant using the same parts id say their the same.I built them for 7 years so unless something has changed in the past 3 years their still built the same way they use same compressors diff control panels and diff sheet metal all else is the same.

Post Likes
    I'd go with Trane.

I'd rather be hit by a "Trane" than get my "AS" kicked...

Mike
    "...refresh my memory. When did I start caring about this stuff...?"

Post Likes
    Freedom 80 is identical to XR80
    Heritage 11 is identical (except for cabinet panels) to XR11

Only reason to choose 1 over the other is dealer. And availability!

A prospective buyer is going to look at your kitchen countertop and bathroom fixtures, not the brand of HVAC equipment.

Post Likes
    yap thats the word I got....... bought my last ttr2030 a few weeks back all gone....... now its ttr3030

Post Likes
    I may be wrong but I understnad AS Allegiance offers 10 year warranty on compressors, and condensor coil, all other parts are 5 years,yet Trane XLI units offers 10 years on all parts air hindler thermo included if installed as one system.

Post Likes
    Same product, not manufacturing anything below 13 seer, and don't know if production is even up on the 13 seer units yet. We are having a real hard time getting any info on the new line of AS equipment.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    Our supplier is getting 13s in. Pricey stuff. You can read about it online at asdealernet.com. If you don't have password to get on, you should get it from your supplier. Great site.

Post Likes
    i have been to the factory, watched the unit come down the line and seen one unit get a "AS" sticker and one get a Trane.

Post Likes
    One gets the AS sticker and one gets a Trane sticker? Can't see how that can be accomplished Since the Trane Xli and AS allegiance series look distinctly different, and do not have the same dimensions or the same cabinet.

Post Likes

Post Likes

Post Likes
    go look at the trane label on the equipment & tell me who its made by...........

Post Likes
    TRANE NO LONGER OFFERS ANY EGUIPMENT LOWER THAN 13 SEER AS OF NOV 1, BUT IN THE LONG RUN PAY MORE FOR A MORE EFFICIENT UNIT. TRUST ME ON THIS IT WILL PAY FOR IT'S SELF. AS FAR AS BETWEEN TRANE AND AMERICAN STANDARD, GO WITH A.S. SAME THING.

Post Likes
    Around here, 13 SEER 3 ton saves at most $30 a year over 10 SEER. But with a $600 plus premium for 13 over 10, that's a BREAKEVEN of 20 years. Now, spend that $600 for attic insulation and you'll likely have it back in a few years. For many areas of the country, this 13 SEER stuff is a financial hardship!

Post Likes
    Well now, that really won't matter in a few months.

Post Likes
    ive seen a few with the trane sticker that were made by consolidated.local vender swears it aint so & that model didnt show on the list of 30 or so repacks at ccpsc,but thats what they were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in