Okay so I've got a Carrier Infinity 96 being installed tomorrow in my attic, replacing the Ameristar w/the backwards coil problem discussed in previous posts. Had to make a somewhat hasty decision to go ahead w/this since my GC is breathing down my neck trying to get the attic closed up and painted so he can move on. One thing I'm confused about (and would like some independent feedback on beforing I talk to the new installer about it) is the thermostat.

I know this is a fairly high-tech unit and surely needs a high tech thermostat. The Carrier brochure suggests I will need an "Infinity Control" thermostat but I can't tell if the furnace comes w/this or I need to get it installed separately. The installer made no mention of it and seems to be assuming we'll use the same thermostat that the Ameristar guy installed.

Can anyone tell me if the Infinity 96 comes w/its own t-stat or do I need to get one - and, if so, what should I be looking for? Thanks!

I just got an Infinity 96 installed last week. The Infinity electronic panels are designed to work with virtually any thermostat, even the simplest 40 year old Honeywell round thermostat. The furnaces do not come with thermostats so unless your quote lists a new one, the vendor probably plans on using your existing thermostat. The furnace will work with that.

However, it will not work the same way with all thermostats. The dumber the thermostat, the dumber the furnace. Even a dumb thermostat will allow you to heat your house. But to use all the capability of the furnace you need the Infinity thermostat control. They are expensive and work only with Infinity equipment (or Bryant Evolution, which is the same thing). There is a lot of info on Carrier's web site about this control. Do you need it? No, but you may want it due to the added features. It's almost a shame to have an Infinity furnace without the Infinity control. However, technically you don't need it. For the time being my system has a simple thermostat controlling it. I want to switch to an Infinity control but my wife wants to keep the simple one.

Jon
    (non-professional HVAC person)

[Edited by jlk_250 on 11-11-2005 at 01:51 PM]

I would definately go with the Infinity control!

Originally posted by bm17601
    I would definately go with the Infinity control!
    Is that the same thing as the Infinity Thermidistat?

jlk_250 , you refer to it as a "Infinity themidistat", do you not mean "Infinity themostat". There is the Infintity stat and there is the carrier thermidistat, both will control humidity if connected to a heat pump but it sounds like you are just talking about a furnace?

[Edited by phosgene on 11-11-2005 at 09:20 AM]

not using the infinity controll takes away from whole benifit of having the infinity, the controll is very nice and well worth it, sure others will work, but thats really the whole point of using the infinity system is that controll too. personally i thing when contractors dont use it its to cut cost and keep the job cheap, when we install infinity you always get the controll even if its only the heater beinginstall with a single stage ac

I edited my post to correct the terminology. Carrier calls it the "Infinity thermostat control system". It has the ability to control a humidifier so I was referring to it as a thermidistat but Carrier calls it a control system.

None of the contractors who submitted quotes even mentioned the Infinity/Evolution control. I knew about it and asked but in general the reaction was "it's expensive, but if you want it we'll sell you one". I do plan to get one and agree that it is the way to go if you have an Infinity furnace and/or other Infinity product. I wouldn't have gotten the Infinity furnace if I planned to keep the simple thermostat. By using the ordinary thermostat I'll have a basis for comparison with the Infinity control.

Jon

[Edited by jlk_250 on 11-11-2005 at 02:04 PM]

Originally posted by jlk_250
    I just got an Infinity 96 installed last week. The Infinity electronic panels are designed to work with virtually any thermostat, even the simplest 40 year old Honeywell round thermostat. The furnaces do not come with thermostats so unless your quote lists a new one, the vendor probably plans on using your existing thermostat. The furnace will work with that.

However, it will not work the same way with all thermostats. The dumber the thermostat, the dumber the furnace. Even a dumb thermostat will allow you to heat your house. But to use all the capability of the furnace you need the Infinity thermostat control. They are expensive and work only with Infinity equipment (or Bryant Evolution, which is the same thing). There is a lot of info on Carrier's web site about this control. Do you need it? No, but you may want it due to the added features. It's almost a shame to have an Infinity furnace without the Infinity control. However, technically you don't need it. For the time being my system has a simple thermostat controlling it. I want to switch to an Infinity control but my wife wants to keep the simple one.

Jon
    (non-professional HVAC person)

[Edited by jlk_250 on 11-11-2005 at 01:51 PM]
    You know, for a non-professional HVAC person that is pretty well said.

Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Better than a few 'professional' posts that I've seen. Nice explanation.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely look into the "Infinity thermostat control system" (now that I know exactly what to call it!). I asked my installer about it today but he didn't think there was any reason to get it. He said, "it will work fine w/any thermostat; the furnace itself takes care of everything." Maybe he's not as knowledgeable about his product as he should be...