Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nordyne/Westinghouse good or bad

Post Likes
    Bought two 410A systems and am becomming leary of the quality. Have not installed them yet, but cases and coils look flimsy. Anyone else use this equipment? Have good/bad luck, etc??

Post Likes
    Yes, I am a license contractor and an American standard dealer. And info would be helpfull.

Post Likes
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

Post Likes
    Thanks Rehawk..I read the thread earlier and only found one or two comments that where not Brand affiliated (brand bashing). Was hopping for some history/experience comments.

Post Likes
    I have been installing philco from nordyne for years and they are very good units. The only problem i have ever had was that some of the copeland scroll compressors have been noisy on start after setting for awhile. like at night when the units cycle on less often. I have never had a leak in an evap coil on a nordyne unit. I find many leaks on trane coils after a couple years.
    Me:here's your invoice. The total is $$.. Customer:Oh would you check...while your here?

Post Likes
    Thanks Jerry,
    Bought one unit for my father the other for a friend..Hate to have either come back on me as problematic.
    David / Hurst TX

Post Likes
    Yeah, I think you will find they are pretty good. My Philco supply house got bought out so now I'm installing comfortmaker. They are also very good units so far. They are definetly heavier and solid units.
    Me:here's your invoice. The total is $$.. Customer:Oh would you check...while your here?

Post Likes
    I have sold a few of the Gibsons (Nordyne), with very good results. Only had to replace a couple of HSIs on their package units.

Post Likes
    I have installed over 200 systems from nordyne with very little problems. Don't know about 410-a systems though.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jerry-in-grapevine-tx
    The only problem i have ever had was that some of the copeland scroll compressors have been noisy on start after setting for awhile. like at night when the units cycle on less often.
    If this is a TXV metered system I would check the location of the TXV sensing bulb. I have inspected several systems with this issue and all had the sensing bulbs in a bad location at the coil.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    im allso an american standard dealer & have sold them as a b line & havent had any problems, they are kinda flimsy, however they hold up well & have copeland compressors. im not sure there is much value in economy brands when you get over 13 seer. american standard has a fine product for a little more money, from a service standpoint nordyne has proven to be very reliable, they seem to be more reliable than goodman, the biggest issue is that like goodman nordyne seems to get sold to unqualified & unlicensed hacks
    im sure most of the problems have been caused by this & not a direct reflection on the equipment, its a good 8 year system , ya get what ya pay for & it isnt all that bad a r.o.i. for 8 years

Post Likes
    Thanks captainrat,
    The flimsyness is what has me worried.
    Not sure where you are from but here in TX the parts house is pushing this "Dealership" thing in a big way. They won't sell to a licensed contractor if your not a Westinghouse "Dealer"!
    Thanks again,
    David

Post Likes
    Thats sounds like American Standard. I don't understand why a licensed contractor cannot purchase their equipment without being a dealer. If they don't want or need my business then i damn sure will not sell their units.

Post Likes
    the reason for not selling to non dealers is quality control & wishy washy companys who will sell any brand. you cannot maintain high standards by selling to any contractor. american standard distributors seem to do a good job screening potential dealers & will cut them loose should they not do good work & make customers happy.
    american standard products are the top shelf elite of the industry & i see no reason why they should risk tarnishing there reputation & risking a customers satisfaction by selling to a contractor that isnt commited to excellence & proud to sell american standard

Post Likes
    I'm a Frigidaire dealer and I am impressed with the systems. As far as being "flimsy", well, I disagree. They are a good unit (especially air handlers) and the outdoor unit cabinets protect the coil.
    As far as reliability and numbers(remember I am a small dealer)..I have installed 30 Frigidaire systems with 0 call backs. I have installed 3 Trane systems (American Standard) with 1 call back. Can you say reliable? I am not brand bashing, just giving the nubers I have...and defending the brand I install
    SRJ

Post Likes
    i agree rademan, raping he contractor for parts is wrong. that really hits a nerve with me allso

Post Likes
    I'm a Westinghouse dealer and I'm very happy with the product. I've been on the Nordyne factory tour and was very impressed. I have had a couple problems, but Nordyne was very quick to take care of them. I've had Westinghouse system in my home for 3 years and had no problems whatsoever. I've installed several 16 seer r-410 systems and they are great, the condensers are so quiet, you can hardly hear them from 10 feet away. I do see your point about the flimsyness though, I wish they would use a little heavier gauge metal on the cabinets.

Post Likes
    I think they are an excellent 2nd line. dependable. And I agree with compressors being noisy, but never seem to have problems other than that. Cabinets could be heavier but never had an issue with that either. If it wasn't for Trane I would have one in my house.

Post Likes
    Nice to know Iam in such good company.

Where were you guys when I posted "who sells Nordyne?".

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone,
    Between everybodys comments and starting the first of two changeouts to Westinghouse today ,I feel better about them.
    The unit did not crumble in my hands, it made the trip into the attic just fine and all is going well.

A new question, 16 seer westinghouse heatpump, internally equalized TXV. 16 seer straight A/C, Externally equallized TXV. Both 4 Ton.
    Why not external equalized on both TXVs?
    Thank David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in