Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Not sure I agree with 'both' serviceman

So my blower motor stopped 'blowing' on my Bryant 350MAV which also has a AC unit...this happened a couple days ago. We've owned the house for 2 years..was built in 1999

I messed around at the thermostat trying both the 'heat' and 'cool'... both of which 'clicked' on but neither turned the blower motor on.

I called 2 local guys I hear advertised on the radio for a service call. They both came over yesterday while the wife was at home..and I was at work

Both guys quoted me a blower motor and 'control center' at prices consistent for what I've seen on the internet...I thought they were pretty expensive but...it is what it is.

Being in Buffalo I don't have super need for the AC thus we didn't book the job with either of them yet. So the next day (last night) I decided to download the manual and poke around a bit (yeah..i know..diy but..there are troubleshooting steps in the manual designed for a homeowner).

One thing I did try was running 115AC to the motor bypassing the control center and low and behold the blower motor has been running for about the last 24 hours without a hiccup.

So I guess my question is..what's my next move? It looks like the blower motor is fine and in both cases was a good chunk of the repair bill. Do they see something that I don't? Do I call these these guys back and ask why they are replacing the motor or... just try to find someone else?

If the blower motor is of 1999 vintage, its bearings could be on thin ice, and most likely are. Service folks were trying to save you additional heartburn. I don't think you'd be too happy if they replaced just the fan control and a few days later the motor took a dive. That's what a service tech faces when he has to work on old equipment.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    If the blower motor is of 1999 vintage, its bearings could be on thin ice, and most likely are. Service folks were trying to save you additional heartburn. I don't think you'd be too happy if they replaced just the fan control and a few days later the motor took a dive. That's what a service tech faces when he has to work on old equipment.
    hmm, if that's the case shouldnt the customer be advised as to what parts are "needed" and what parts are "suggested?"

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterBash View Post
    Do they see something that I don't? Do I call these these guys back and ask why they are replacing the motor or... just try to find someone else?
    Call and ask for their Service Manager, tell them that you see that the board is bad but uncertain as to why they want to replace the blower motor. Have them explain their diagnosis and to "show" you the reasons why. Face it, you need a board either way and both should be willing to provide answers to your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by b26440510 View Post
    hmm, if that's the case shouldnt the customer be advised as to what parts are "needed" and what parts are "suggested?"
    That can still put a tech over a barrel. He gives the customer such an option, the customer opts for the less expensive route, and three days later the fan motor dies. While some customers will just shrug it off and say "wish I had done what he suggested", others will call the office and scream bloody murder that the tech should have pushed harder to sell the whole job. Been there, seen that.

When people are in a hot house, reason can get sidelined in some cases.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Valid point but not sure I necessarily agree with it.

Kinda like bringing the car into a dealer and saying..'yeah..you computer is bad...while it's here we should probably replace the engine..and maybe the transmission'

From what the wife said (I REALLY wish I was there for this) neither guy actually 'turned the furnace on' (from her).

I'm guessing an experience touch could tell by moving the blower shaft if there was play in the bearings?

I'm thinking a third opinion is necessary? Preferably when I'm home?

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post

we have no amp draws, nore pictures of motor to show condition, tech may see slop in shaft, very dirty wheel or motor windings wich would represent a motor that will fail soon. These could and will dictate ''needed'' vs ''suggested'' repair.

Are we talking about a conventional board and PSC motor?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Thinking I'll probably go this route. Will post back with both answers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    Call and ask for their Service Manager, tell them that you see that the board is bad but uncertain as to why they want to replace the blower motor. Have them explain their diagnosis and to "show" you the reasons why. Face it, you need a board either way and both should be willing to provide answers to your questions.

Valid point but not sure I necessarily agree with it.

Kinda like bringing the car into a dealer and saying..'yeah..you computer is bad...while it's here we should probably replace the engine..and maybe the transmission'

From what the wife said (I REALLY wish I was there for this) neither guy actually 'turned the furnace on' (from her).

I'm guessing an experience touch could tell by moving the blower shaft if there was play in the bearings?

I'm thinking a third opinion is necessary? Preferably when I'm home?
    It could be due to an electrical issue within the motor that may have caused the board to fail? i.e. High amps? due to?

Thus the phone call in as another suggested

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    we have no amp draws, nore pictures of motor to show condition, tech may see slop in shaft, very dirty wheel or motor windings wich would represent a motor that will fail soon. These could and will dictate ''needed'' vs ''suggested'' repair.

Ha! Honestly I'm not sure what you are asking.

According to the manual and as best I can tell from the est we are talking about the 'Control Center' (item #13 in the 350MAV manual) and the 'Heavy Duty Blower Motor' (item number #10 in the manual)

I do appreciate everyone advice..my first reaction was of the 'taking advantage of the lady' but for both techs to do the exact same thing was telling me there may be validity to the claims

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Are we talking about a conventional board and PSC motor?

?
    On furnace service calls - you take control of the furnace at the furnace (unless you are testing the thermostat.) They would not have went to the thermostat and "turn it on"
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast