I had a customer who complained that his two newly installed Trane A/H for the upstairs in his house wasnt removing enough moisture, and he was tired of paying a tech to slow down and speed up the blower for the seasons. Upon checking them out I leanred that he was sold two 1 1/2 ton (3 tons) systems for the upstairs which was only 800sq ft. at most. What could I have done to resolve this situation aside without costing the home owner alot more money?

Run a load and see what is really happening on sizing of the system, and duct runs.

I told him that I would need to do one, but coudnt do it that day due to being on a schedule ( I was actually there working on the a/c for the first floor) I told him i'd need an exact square footage , but in the meantime to try running only one system and leaving the fan on on the other system to circulate. I also thought of cutting out the orifices and installing smaller TXV's. He said he would try running one sys and fan on the other and if it didnt work would call back. He never called back

why would you ever need 2 systems for 800 sq ft.
    you could install txvs on both, slow the blower down to low or medium speed. or do it right and install one 2 or 2 1/2 ton system using .05 return duct static and 1" supply static.

Exclamation Underestimated number of floors

Originally posted by airworx
    why would you ever need 2 systems for 800 sq ft.
    I GUESS
    maybe the 3rd story remains to be built
    L.O.L.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

maybe the installer couldnt figre out how to get duct work from one unit to areas he needed it.