Post Likes

Looking for some advice

Been in the trade for about ten years now looking to start my own business nothing big just a one man band for the time being just to see how it goes. Any insight, ideas, do's or dont's would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Oh, we're just full of advice . . .

What part of the country are you in? Residential, commercial?

If you quit your job, how long can you survive with no income?

Post Likes
    To quote a movie,"Do or don't do, there is no try".

Don't forget you have a family or you won't have one.

Find your niche and fill it.

Take classes on how to run a business, learn the numbers, then use what you have learned. If you don't you can run yourself ragged because you are so busy, the whole time you are going broke.

Save 1-5% of every deposit.

Remember you don't need every job, just the good ones.

Don't get caught up in the race to the bottom. Learn how to price jobs.

Stay out of your own way.

4. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I run my own business and It's been really good for me. My suggestion would be to transition slowly over to running your own shop. Maybe work for someone else for a short time while you do side jobs yourself and build up a good base of clientele. Save up you money for a rainy day. Also, I personally don't spend any money on advertising but I'm doing pretty well on the internet. Do yourself a favor and don't get sucked into spending thousands on internet search optimization services. It's all a joke if you ask me.

6. Likes HeatenCoolair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Don't forget to work ON the business. If you spend 100% of your time running around, working in the business, all you did was trade your job for another job, but for this job you're the one on call 24/7.

Meaning, find every single thing you aren't good at or don't like, and start building a process for outsourcing it or hiring other people to help you.
    If you're good at sales and love that part, find some good contractors and work with them and focus on sales.
    If you're awesome at the technical part, then find a way to market yourself, whether you hire a salesperson, send out fliers, or do online marketing.

No offense at all to James Colver, but Google wouldn't exist if advertising didn't work. If it didn't work, people would try it out, churn because it failed, and stop. That being said, it isn't easy to do.

Anyway, tangent aside, you need to devote 2-3 hours per week thinking about your business, planning, and making the "big" changes. If you don't give yourself this space, you will get caught up in the jobs, and end up just working a job. If you ever get sick, instead of having a system and people in place that keeps your business running, your projects will stop as well as your income. Use that 2-3 hours per week to figure out how to make your business NOT dependent on you.

8. Likes BBeerme liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    I run my own business and It's been really good for me. My suggestion would be to transition slowly over to running your own shop. Maybe work for someone else for a short time while you do side jobs yourself and build up a good base of clientele. Save up you money for a rainy day. Also, I personally don't spend any money on advertising but I'm doing pretty well on the internet. Do yourself a favor and don't get sucked into spending thousands on internet search optimization services. It's all a joke if you ask me.
    wouldnt he need a contractors license and insurance before doing side jobs? I thought about it..

Local search is powerful if done correctly, as so: http://www.screencast.com/t/pZxQjaxh

(top in image) Paid adwords you can always get to the top, just depends on how you want to spend per click and how well you can optimize and know how to track conversions. (bottom in image) To appear on the top in the local search is something you can pay or learn to do on your own. Most people don't use the yellowpages any longer and use the internet to find local businesses. Some companies don't bother and pay for leads (ie; another company deploys landing pages and gathers customers looking for hvac services in their area and than sell the lead to a hvac company in that area)

Post Likes
    Another hack joins the ranks.