Thread: Energy Saving Products fancoil

Post Likes
    I'm looking at replacing my 20+ year old funace, a/c and ducting. I'm waiting on an estimate from the contractor I just had out.

This person recommended replacing the furnace with a Enery Saving Products brand fancoil, an LV-120 I believe, and a Bradford White fast recovery water heater. For the a/c he said he sells York and would recommend a 10 Seer. I live in Long Beach, CA. Mild winters, Pretty mild summers.

My house is mostly open beam ceiling. There is a small attic over the hallway. The house is 1750 square feet.

I cannot find out much information from the Energy Saving Products website.

What is a comparable brand and model of fan coil?

Anyone on this list have this brand?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Post Likes

Fan Coil

Originally posted by looter

Enery Saving Products brand fancoil, an LV-120 I believe,
    ... He sells York and would recommend a 10 Seer.
    ... I live in Long Beach, CA.
    ... House is 1750 square feet.
    I cannot find out much information from the Energy Saving Products website.
    And that website would be ______________ ?

How do you get replacement parts and service in ~8 years for 'an off brand' fan coil unit?

What are the other proposals?

Electric rate in Long Beach? $0.___ per kW
    Gas rate _______ ?

Age of house ___
    Window area on each side ___
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    The website is http://hi-velocity.com/

The water heater would be gas also and would feed the ESP unit. They would plumb a supply and return line.

I think the gas rate is works to around $1.00 per therm.

Electric rate ranges from $.13-$.17 per kWh depending on usage after taxes etc.

But I'm not sure what the electric rate has to do with this installation.

The one other estimate I got was for a traditional furnace and similar a/c unit.

Has anyone here ever heard of, installed or used an Energy Saving Products brand heater?

Thanks again.

Post Likes

Comparison of CA Electric vs. GA$ Rates

... gas rate is around $1.00 per therm.
    ...Electric rate ranges from $.13-$.17 per kWh depending on usage after taxes etc.
    Aside: Electric is NOT FAVORABLE for CA.

Many parts of ths country are now finding that with reasonable electric rates ( < 1/2 of CA) that Heat Pumps
    ( C.O.P. average of 3.0) may be the preferred, economical heat source.

$0.15/ kw __________ BTUh per Therm 100000
    29.30 kw/ Therm ____ BTUh per kW 3412.5

$4.40 $/ Therm :Straight Electric
    3.20 Average C.O.P.
    $1.374 $/ Therm : Heat Pump
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes

Thumbs up AMERICAN mfgs

The water heater would be gas also and would feed the ESP unit. They would plumb a supply and return line.

Thanks again.
    ESP headquarters are in Alberta Canada.
    http://www.hi-velocity.com/en/index.html

American firms may have more product recognition.
    Spacepak or UNICO may offer comparable mini-duct systems.

http://www.unicosystem.com/OlderHome...plications.asp

http://www.spacepak.com/

Post Likes
    In both high and low velocity systems, you could heat the air with a heat pump or hot water coil. A WH is the cheapest solution but it's not realy designed for heating, nor will it last more then 8 years or so if you run the WH at 140°. Never use the same WH for your domestic HW!
    There are combo units that will save you space. Bradford White has the combi-cor and AO Smith has a version also. Again being water heaters, you usually don't get more then 10 years out of them. There are some wall hung combo units like Baxi Luna or the pricer Triangle Tube that has a stainless steel tank for the domestic HW.

Post Likes
    Your current gas rate is relativly cheap.

Do you think it will always be low.

You might want to consider a regular gas furnace, perhaps 2 stage, and a higher eff a/c, with your electric rate.

Post Likes
    I think "dan sw fl" maybe missing something. The contractor did not suggest an electrical system. The contractor recommended ESP's lo-velocity system. It uses tradtional duct work. He suggested plumbing the coil with water from a fast recovery hot water heater by Bradford White. Also, he suggested replacing my 20+ year old a/c unit with a York. I haven't received the actual estimate yet. He is also going to give me a quote on a traditional furnace.

I am asking if anyone has used this ESP lo-v system because when I visit their website their is very little information on it. Most of their marketing is for their hi-velicity system.

I am looking for comparable brands to the lo-velocity using hot water to heat your home.

What are the pros and cons heating a house using a type of heater like this compared to a traditional furnace?

Thanks

Post Likes
    If you use a waterheater for house heating, you need to increase the btu input of the WH, then in the summer, you have an over sized water heater.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in