Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Consider This

The church depending on the age, or when an upgrade was done, there may not be adequate electrical service to run a rental breezewagon. If you are going to do this you are going to be sucking down some kilowatts, and possibly need 3 phase.. Food for thought

Marriage is tough enough on new couples. Approximately 50% of marriages end in divorce. Starting out with a wedding that can has a 50% chance of leaving 150 people plus yourselves completely uncomfortable is not good odds. There is no cost effective way to cool that church. I assume there's some reason that you have to use this church but if there isn't, do yourself a favor & find another church.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Find another church
    I know money dosen't grow on tree's so spend the extra on the honey moon and reception and go to your local courthouse and sign the papers and your done.
    If I could do it over again I would do it this way.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Consider this an omen and cancel the wedding indefinitely. If you really insist on being legally obligated to this woman, get married by a Justice of the Peace in his or her air conditioned chambers with just a witness or two, then have everyone go to where ever you are having the reception for a party.

It's not as if being "married" has any religous significance any more.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

EXPERTS

A/C + Power

http://www.aggreko.com/NORTHAMERICA/...ditioners.aspx

NOBODY SAID IT WAS CHEAP !
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    Marriage is tough enough on new couples. Approximately 50% of marriages end in divorce. Starting out with a wedding that can has a 50% chance of leaving 150 people plus yourselves completely uncomfortable is not good odds. There is no cost effective way to cool that church. I assume there's some reason that you have to use this church but if there isn't, do yourself a favor & find another church.
    There are going to be a lot of tougher days ahead. The cost of true partnership is hardship. Why do you think fraternities have hazing.

Part of me thinks this is your hazing. The other part of me thinks that if the bride and her people are unwilling to endure a little discomfort all ready, they're not willing to commit to any hazing efforts themselves.

If the latter, image what hoops they'll be having you jump through to satisfy their whim's down the road, and question if they'll stand around you when things get tough.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

No Matter What, the groom still sweats!

Quote Originally Posted by jda5040 View Post
    Hey everyone

I'm getting married in a non-air conditioned church in June of next year. The wedding is in Pennsylvania, so while the weather isn't always hot in late June, there's a good chance it could be.

The church sanctuary is about 45 x 120 feet (give or take) so we're looking at somewhere in the vicinity of 5000-6000 square feet. here's the kicker though: the ceiling is about 35 feet high, going up in flat-topped A-frame shape, so the volume of the room is much bigger than it seems.

My fiancee insists that the church be cooled in some fashion. My uneducated idea is to buy a room air conditioner (10,000-15,000 btus), leave it running the entire night before and up until 15 minutes before guests (150 of them) arrive.

I'm thinking the night before should be no warmer than 70, if not more like 60 or 50, so outside heat during the night shouldn't be a concern. In the morning, however, there is a large stained glass window facing due east that I imagine will cause quite a greenhouse effect until 10 AM or so, but after that, the entire building is in the shade of large trees.

Does anyone think my plan of using a single AC unit will work, as long as it's left on for 15 or so hours?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Dude,

There are companies that specialize in Churches. Call a couple air-conditioned churches for a referral and you'll find some.
    You might also ask if you can move your wedding to their church!

Theses companies can give you some help, some rules of thumb, and may have the temporary cooling equipment you need.

You are correct in that by running the AC hours before to Service you will pre-cool the thermal mass.

Companies that do this work figure about 500 BTU/person. A little less for Lutherans and more for Shouting Baptists.

So you pre-cool your space then use the (guests x 500 BTU) to get your approximate capacity.

This way everyone will be comfortable but you.

You will be sweating no matter what.

Congrats,

ACBD

My long time friend's wife is bravely fighting cancer. She's a trouper but the disease has taken a severe toll on her. My friend could not be a more dedicated, unwavering husband to her as she continues her struggle.

Last weekend we held a huge birthday bash for her in my friend's backyard, complete with live music and pot luck goodies galore. Outdoors it was 102 degrees, late afternoon blazing heat. Over 150 people were there. We had a blast.

After sundown and after more casual acquaintances had drifted on home, those of us who were asked to stay were treated to one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen between a married couple. My friend and his bride held a reaffirmation of their wedding vows ceremony, with her in the same wedding dress she wore 17 years earlier. Another of his friends softly played a guitar while others lit candles. The next door neighbor's condenser kicked on and tried to drown out the ceremony. Nothing doing.

My friend's wife's cancer outlook is not good. She may yet lose her battle. But never had I seen him more devoted to her, more loving, than the way she is now. With that said, I can't hold a lot of sympathy over an unairconditioned church in Philadelphia. If your bride is healthy and cancer free, see if you can get a change of venue or just endure the church as it is. Doubtless other couples have been married there in June before and survived it. My friend would give anything to go sit in that church's pews, with his bride healthy and cancer free, with no a/c, to watch your wedding.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Smile THANKS SHOPHOUND I LOVE A

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    My long time friend's wife is bravely fighting cancer. She's a trouper but the disease has taken a severe toll on her. My friend could not be a more dedicated, unwavering husband to her as she continues her struggle.

My friend and his bride held a reaffirmation of their wedding vows ceremony, with her in the same wedding dress she wore 17 years earlier. Another of his friends softly played a guitar while others lit candles.

My friend's wife's cancer outlook is not good. She may yet lose her battle. But never had I seen him more devoted to her, more loving, than the way she is now.
    REAL LIFE'S PERSPECTIVE.

BEST WISHES ! !!
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

If you really want a/c United Rentals among others have commercial sized evaporator ones for rent.

Here is an example of one they rent http://www.ur.com/index.php/equipmen...specifications

Or get a 48" floor fan, the breeze will cool everybody down, not sure about the noise during the service though.
    .http://www.ur.com/index.php/equipmen...id=1233&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by jda5040 View Post
    Hey everyone

I'm getting married in a non-air conditioned church in June of next year. The wedding is in Pennsylvania, so while the weather isn't always hot in late June, there's a good chance it could be.

The church sanctuary is about 45 x 120 feet (give or take) so we're looking at somewhere in the vicinity of 5000-6000 square feet. here's the kicker though: the ceiling is about 35 feet high, going up in flat-topped A-frame shape, so the volume of the room is much bigger than it seems.

My fiancee insists that the church be cooled in some fashion. My uneducated idea is to buy a room air conditioner (10,000-15,000 btus), leave it running the entire night before and up until 15 minutes before guests (150 of them) arrive.

I'm thinking the night before should be no warmer than 70, if not more like 60 or 50, so outside heat during the night shouldn't be a concern. In the morning, however, there is a large stained glass window facing due east that I imagine will cause quite a greenhouse effect until 10 AM or so, but after that, the entire building is in the shade of large trees.

Does anyone think my plan of using a single AC unit will work, as long as it's left on for 15 or so hours?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!
    Awful lot of money to spend for what,an hours worth of ceremony?

Just deal with it like hundreds of thousands of others have and enjoy the air conditioning at the reception hall.
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

Geez Shop Hound , you got me right in the chest! May God ease her struggle. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your close friends.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123