Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Air Conditioning at a wedding

Hey everyone

I'm getting married in a non-air conditioned church in June of next year. The wedding is in Pennsylvania, so while the weather isn't always hot in late June, there's a good chance it could be.

The church sanctuary is about 45 x 120 feet (give or take) so we're looking at somewhere in the vicinity of 5000-6000 square feet. here's the kicker though: the ceiling is about 35 feet high, going up in flat-topped A-frame shape, so the volume of the room is much bigger than it seems.

My fiancee insists that the church be cooled in some fashion. My uneducated idea is to buy a room air conditioner (10,000-15,000 btus), leave it running the entire night before and up until 15 minutes before guests (150 of them) arrive.

I'm thinking the night before should be no warmer than 70, if not more like 60 or 50, so outside heat during the night shouldn't be a concern. In the morning, however, there is a large stained glass window facing due east that I imagine will cause quite a greenhouse effect until 10 AM or so, but after that, the entire building is in the shade of large trees.

Does anyone think my plan of using a single AC unit will work, as long as it's left on for 15 or so hours?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

A 5400 square foot space cooled by 15,000 BTU's? I don't think so, even if you left it running for a decade.

How deep are your pockets? You can rent portable a/c units that can cool a space that large. Get ready to pay.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Look into the big "water cooler" units. They use water and a giant fan to cool large areas for reasonable cost. The work excellent if the humidity isn't too high.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Look into the big "water cooler" units. They use water and a giant fan to cool large areas for reasonable cost. The work excellent if the humidity isn't too high.
    Pennsylvania can be very humid in summer.

I'm talking something more like this to handle that church and crowd:

http://www.bluestreamservices.com/re...-chillers.html
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

You did not say where in PA, but call somewhere like Ransome. They rent portable A/C that will be large enough to accomodate the church.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

To put it bluntly... A place like that would need more like 15 tons. 15,000 BTU's would cool a bathroom.

Find another church

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Wish zip code was a requirement for membership. Such a pita wading through posts to see where people are. Swamp coolers not workin' east of the miss, not for people dressed up anyway.

I went to a wedding few weekends back, they supplied little wooden slat paper fans. Made a HUGE difference. It was REALLY hot, and the air provided by those little fans made the difference between mildly uncomfortable and quite unbearable.

A window unit may cool the church, but once a mass of radiating, perspiring people come inside it'll be like a fart in the wind. If you want REAL cooling you either need powerful fans or a rental AC unit like SH recommends
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

150 people is about 68,000 BTUs. So even if the church started out at 70, it would be roasting in it in a very short time with a little 15,000 BTU A/C.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Call Carrier Rentals, they will size what you need.

Move it outdoors, use giant exhaust fans to suck the stale air out, open the windows and let in fresh air or pay for the necessary cooling. Others have already provided ideas and there's just no way to cool and dehumidify if the system isn't sized for the load.

I'd suggest this.

Forego the wedding presents and ask all of the guests to contribute to a fund to install AC in the church. You front the money for 3 or 4 appropriately sized mini-split heat pumps. They're installed so your wedding is done in perfect temperature and humidity control no matter the weather outdoors, the church gets a permanent solution to summer, lowers their heating bills in the winter, all in your name and you use the 'wedding gift' donations to offset the cost of the installations. Or if you're wealthy enough, then use the money to purchase your own wedding gifts.

If you are looking at installing all this A/C in the old church be sure the electrical system can handle the additional load.

Have a nudist wedding instead

Then nobody willl notice the heat.
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast