Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Limit

How often do you guys find A coils dirty enough to make a furnace go off on high limit? I'm a supermarket tech but I went to school for this stuff too, but don't have as much hands on experience. I found my father in laws furnace going out on high limit and I checked the A coil and it had a pretty solid layer which I brushed off as best as I could. I'm going to pump the condensor down and remove the A coil and hose it down real good. My sister in laws furnace had the same issue years ago, it was full of dryer lint. Thanks

Originally posted by wrightad
    How often do you guys find A coils dirty enough to make a furnace go off on high limit?
    That's pretty common if the coil is dirty enough had this happen many times.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I see it a lot on newer const. because they use the furnace for construction heaters[though they are not suposed to].the contractors are taking a big warranty risk by allowing builders to use their equip. this way.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

why take the coil out when they have chemicals you can spray on and run the cooling and it will do the same thing.

I agree with coolcray. I cut a big enough opening in the plenum to access the entire coil and vac. well and use coil cleaner and rinse untill clean in place.

If the filter isnt installed properly, then the A coil becomes the filter.
    never say never

the most common problem with coils clogged from not changing filter or just taking it out when it is dirty and not putting new one in right away.ahh ill get one later.

I figure that taking it out and putting a water hose to it, after taping up the lines tight, would do a better job would it not? I mean it's dirty enough to go out on limit then it's pretty packed up I figure. I'm I wrong?

Originally posted by wrightad
    I figure that taking it out and putting a water hose to it, after taping up the lines tight, would do a better job would it not? I mean it's dirty enough to go out on limit then it's pretty packed up I figure. I'm I wrong?
    Nope! can't argue with that.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

thatis pretty dirty but the coil cleaner wil eat that stuff up you will be supprised how clean it will get it

that coil cleaner is the **** thats what it is for so you dont have to take it out just make sure you get the cleaner for the inside coil they have both out side condenser cleaner also.

An A coil by itself is a pretty good restriction when compared to a furnace only installation. It doesn't take as much blockage as you might think to trip out.think about most systems have duct issues already.Also people love the high merv filters that are so restrictive to an allready bad duct job.put all these together and you've got a high temp. cut out waiting to happen.

Talking

I think they let there filters go too long, they were hard to change and there was two of them. I put an return grill filter holder in for them so they can do it easier. It's a better design than what they had too, tighter. I hope this does the trick! Don't want to be at the In Laws house all the time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast