Having trouble with the hanging unit heater in my garage and the weather is rapidly getting cold!!
    I've got a 30K btu Dayton unit heater That I can't get the fan to start on. When I turn up thermostat and power on gas valve turns on and burner lights. Everything seems ok right? Problem is Fan does not start. I ran it for a couple of minutes and burner stays lit but no fan. Direct wiring has shown me that the fan motor works and is fine. I have replaced the Fan time delay, and the blocked vent switch. I also tested the High Limit Switch with a cigarette lighter and it seems to function. (opens and closes) Seems like I pretty much eliminated everything except the transformer which must be working if the gas valve turns on. What in the world could this be?
    Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Mod01 Guest
    Sounds like it's time to call a professional. Please no DIY questions as stated in the site rules. Thanks.

Whatever. I suppose You never try to fix anything yourself.
    The first thing you should do when you have a problem with anything is take it to a professional & pay out the nose for some little B.S fix. Well sorry, but we all don't make union wages around here!!

Then fix it yourself.

I was just looking for a little advice. Nobody is taking money out of your pocket! I run into this attitude all the time with HVAC guys. What's so bloody confidential about your trade that you can't give a little friendly advice once in awhile?

Only a couple of things it could be, fan motor, fan timer or heat activated switch or bad wiring. Since you have elimated the fan switch and motor it must be something in the wiring. In my experience most unit heaters do not use a timed delay but a heat activated snap switch. You will have to fire it up and check the wiring see where the power is going to and why it is not going to the motor.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help

Dayton is a very common unit. Do you have a wiring schematic on the unit? If not try looking it up on the internet. How old is the unit? Sounds like you have a pretty good clue on how the unit works, as posted earlier tracing the circuits will help you find the problem. Is there a fan switch on the unit? Some have a chain like a cieling fan, or a toggle switch. Again we do not give step by step instructions, a little friendly advice never hurts though. Good luck.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Sounds like your motor doesn't work. Lose the attitude and come back anytime. You ask for some friendly advice and you got it. Sounds like you are in over your head and seeking qualified help is you next step. You wasted your money with the vent switch. Did you buy it from a wholesaler? When you say the limit seems to work, does that mean you checked it electrically or just visually? If you have replaced all of the components, and eliminated any possibility you might have a loose connection, the only other component is the motor. Do you own and know how to use a meter? That would be your best procedure to follow. By the way, if this is the attitude you always run into with HVAC guys, you need to either expand your circle of friends or quit hanging with HVAC guys. Fill out your profile and we may be more inclined to help in the future, or not.

Smile

I wouldn't talk to Mod01 like that....he has the power you know...LOL

boarder1... please read the site rules before further posting.

Mod01 was only doing his job, no reason for you to cop an attitude.

Improper post... CLOSED!