Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

High electric bill with Carrier Infinity system

I have a >2000 square foot home in FL. I took out a 12 year old 3 1/2 ton heat pump and had a 16 SEER Carrier Infinity System installed. It is model 25hpa648 with the matching airhandler (sorry dont have the model number with me right now) and infinity control inside. My first months electric bill came and the daily kWh average jumped from 56 before the unit was install to 60. Ok, I figured since the old was was still on the bill for 7 days, I would wait another month. Just got my new bill and average daily kWh is 59. The home was unoccupied for one week during the first bill and one week during the second bill so no computers, tv's, oven etc. Installer checked system out 2 times and found no problems. They want to wait another month to see what happens!
    Static pressure is high, just like it was when unit was installed. And air handler has condensation built up on it. Installer enlarged air return chase and enlarged on of 3 air returns in home. They also came back and ran flex duct from plenum to boxes further back into roof. Any thoughts as to why energy consumption would not be reduced more with this new system?

Twilly says in Florida too. Are they a FAD dealer they claim they will give your money back
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Yes, if after one year, of high electric bills, I am not satisfied they will repair it or remove it and refund original purchase price. I bought the Carrier Infinity because it came highly recommended. It was supposed to be very energy efficient......blah blah blah. I just want my a/c to work properly and save me a few dollars on electric.

Twilly says what city are you in?

Twilly says some of the blue oval experts will be along shortly and give you all kinds of advice

What are your degree days this year compared to last? It could just be hotter this year...

I am in the Tampa Bay area. Temps have actually been cooler this year. They already tried telling it was hotter this year than last. Power company provided me with a bill analysis which shows average highs, lows and normal temps.

My father in law had a 14 SEER Trane installed late last year and he saves $25 - $50 per month. He lives in the same area and has a similar size home. He also spent way less on his Trane than I did on my Carrier........ I will NEVER hear the end of this. :-)

Our homes are about the same size, in the same climate. I haave a stay at home wife and two kids and all the laundry and cooking to go with it. I also have two water heaters in the house. So a im running an average of 60 kwh per day, with a 13 seer unit. So im wondering what is the age of the home, is it a two story, what kind of windows etc...Also, what is the temperature set at?

You will pay out of your Nose for Bryant/Carrier crap, you should have stuck with your old Trane and rode it for another 5-10 years...

Ok ok that didn't help you situation...

My personal opinion is that the Install is FUBAR, 4 tons of cooling needs ALOT of of Air Flow.

Go to your Fan kick it in HIGH, then hold Advanced for 5 seconds, then go to Status and let us know what the Static Pressure is at...
    I forgot my Pen !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Think of the old stuff as dumb and strong and the new stuff as smart but just not so tough.

Static pressure shows .78 under heat pump status and .79 under fan coil status.
    My home is a single story. Windows were changed to vinyl with insulated glass 7 years ago. Insulation was added to attic around the same time. Home was built in 1980. Dealer did a duct test and said I had 9% leakage which was acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by awsomeears View Post
    You will pay out of your Nose for Bryant/Carrier crap, you should have stuck with your old Trane and rode it for another 5-10 years...

Ok ok that didn't help you situation...

My personal opinion is that the Install is FUBAR, 4 tons of cooling needs ALOT of of Air Flow.

Go to your Fan kick it in HIGH, then hold Advanced for 5 seconds, then go to Status and let us know what the Static Pressure is at...
    C'mon now. Let's not bash for the sake of bashing. It doesn't matter who's unit is installed in the home. If there's high static pressure, the variable speed fan will eat copious amounts of electricity in an attempt to supply the required CFM. The old system the PSC fan would just stall and use less electricity than if fully loaded. That's just the phsyics of the system.

To get much lower energy bills, you'll need to get the high static situation fixed.

You also may be able to help by having the installers set the blower to Efficiency rather than Maximum as it probably is now set. That's done in the Advanced > Set-up > Air Handler area of the User Interface in case they don't know about it.

Overheated,
    It will help you more to monitor actual kwh's used, and keep an eye on rates per kwh. Just comparing Dollars per month can be inaccurate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast