Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused

The couple quotes I received differ on thier opinion if a furnance that is being put in the attic where the bedrooms are should be hung from the rafters? One company said it could actually bend the roof in over time and that is why he didnt like it. Another said he didnt like it because it could vibrate the whole house. Another said they do it because it is quiet? What do you think?

its quieter

to hang it besides 99.9% of all furnaces are setup that way

First of all what type of furnace are they instlling 80%,or 90%? Is your attic a conditioned space?

Will you have a/c and or a humidifier?

Where do you live and have you checked for codes in your city?

Will they pull a permit?
    Did you get a copy of the companys certif. of insurance?

In chicago a 90% furnace can be installed in the attic if you install a emergency drain pan under it.you must also have the furnace inclosed in room with insulated walls and fire resitance sheet rock.Installing a smoke and carbon monoxide detector in that room.

I always set the drain pan on the attic floor then setting 4 bricks in the pan with cork and rubber vibration pads on top and then I set the furnace.
    Make sure they insulate both the supply and return ducts.

wow you acfually hav to close in the furnace and smoke detectors and fire proor rock on residential thats a little crazy isnt it.anyway we just did one this week and we do it all the time and it is definatly quieter and makes for a nicer job that way.

and secondary drain pan with a safty sw is a must on an attic unit.

coolcray3...They also changed the codes in chicago where we can no longer use any flex duct not even 5'from the trunk to boot in attics. they allow 5' of duct on commercial

Originally posted by coolcray3
    wow you acfually hav to close in the furnace and smoke detectors and fire proor rock on residential thats a little crazy isnt it.anyway we just did one this week and we do it all the time and it is definatly quieter and makes for a nicer job that way.
    It's Chicago...they still have this thing about fires
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by chicago tom
    coolcray3...They also changed the codes in chicago where we can no longer use any flex duct not even 5'from the trunk to boot in attics. they allow 5' of duct on commercial
    Are they giving you the "rats in the attic" reason for no flex ducting like they are pulling in Baltimore? This is more of a local thing that Sheet Metal Locals lobby for.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I agree with coolcray but remember the switch won't open if the drain on the pan is open.I install a pvc ball valve on the back up drain leaving it closed so the switch will shut the unit down then the tech can open the valve fix the problem and then close it before leaving.

it would be an 80% furnance. They did not recommend a humidifier saying it could freeze. Each contractor included some sort of safety switch. One was a float mechanism and others would include a sensor to detect water. I have checked their certificates and the town inspector would be coming to take a look.

wow you guys got it rough in chicago. i feel for you guys thats some brutal **** does that mean you have hard pipe everything and insulate it too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast