I must replace my 25-year-old electric furnace soon. When I bought the house 6 months ago, I had the gas company run a line to the house because I expected the replacement to be a gas furnace. Now that gas prices are increasing I am looking at dual fuel units--an electric heat pump with gas furnace. Living in middle Tennessee, I like the idea but are there potential problems I need to be aware of? Does the up front cost pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time? The bid I am most seriously considering is for Trane's XL 1200 DCY, either the 2.5 or 3 ton for my 1600 sq ft home.

Other posts I have read tend to recommend the extended warranty. The contractor offered a warranty of 1 year on labor, but at least one post insisted on 5 years.

Thanks in advance,

SB

If you don't have anything gas in the house now, you probably are better off keeping it that way. You pay $10-15 a month just to have a meter so that adds $120-160 a year on top of any usage. TN has some pretty low electric rates. So do we and we're colder. An all electric house with a good pump is cheaper annually than gas & electric homes.

Ditto. If you haven't actually started using gas for something else yet, stick with all-electric (a heat pump with electric backup). It will be cheaper to run in TN, even ignoring the cost of having a meter and account with the gas company.

I also agree with my fellow compadres. Stick with a HP.

Equipment Selection

Originally posted by sbvideo
    I must replace my 25-year-old electric furnace soon.

Does the up front cost pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time? The bid I am most seriously considering is for Trane's XL 1200 DCY, either the 2.5 or 3 ton for my 1600 sq ft home.

Other posts I have read tend to recommend the extended warranty. The contractor offered a warranty of 1 year on labor, but at least one post insisted on 5 years.
    H.P. is again recommended
    due to reasonable electric rates in TN.

Also, HIGHer H.S.P.F. & SEER might be pursued.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...mps/XL16i.aspx

Cost 10 year P&L warranty for XLi series should be investigated ... I believe you'll find it 'somewhat friendly to your budget'. Some local mechanical contractors that I am aware of include this in their standard Replacement pricing.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities