Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Chad711
    You guys been drinkin?

Unfortunately no. What coil? What application? I think you need to set the wild turkey down and re-read your post. Hic

All fossile fuel furnaces the coil must be on the supply.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Originally posted by swampfox
    If the airflow is there it wouldnt matter to the heat pump what side of the furnace the coil is on.
    I guess if the coil gets a bad leak and you don't mind smelling the phosphate gas go for it.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

I didnt say it was a good idea to put it there, but if its tripping the HP switch, its not because the coil is mounted on the return side

Swampfox, I disagree. First off you are pulling the air through not pushing, also there is a higher static pressure going through the coil when placed in that direction, most important though, its going to DESTROY the furnace with all that humidity pushing through it come summer.

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

I know about the heat exchanger issue, but in almost every air handler manufactured the coil is on the return side, why does it become an airflow problem in a gas furnace application?

Well I dont know the last time I saw an airhandler and nothing else around here so I cant say. Maybe the coil design on those is differant.

It is not an airflow problem due to where the coil is located.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I guess I could have looked into it more, maybe there is an issue with the HP. Pressure steadily rose over 500 until the HP opened...

I just have never seen one on the return, and have heard it will never work.

i totaly disagree with coil on the return side on any furnace for ovious reasons. but seeing this is a pulse with a cast iron and steel tube heat exchange rust should not be a real problem for a while although it will void the life time warrenti to the original homeowner or the 20 year also. either way this shouldnt matter to the coil there are other issues going on. the heat pump should still work fine. i have a coustomer with the same set up it has worked for 18 years this way and is doing fine. keep trying to get him to let me do it the right way but all he says is when it crapps out he will replace the intire system and then i can do it the way i want. so be it

Did you take any static pressure readings to rule out the possibility of an airflow issue?
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

No I was in and out, just stopped by to drop off a grill for the guys installing it, I was on my way to another call. Im sure I will be there tomorrow looking into it more.

Most package HP's the coil is in the return, but has nothing to do with high HP. I agree with rotting out a HX on a dual fuel though..
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

heating is not the issue its the cooling. Cooling coil on gas furnace has to be a blow through coil
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast