Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by thes View Post
    when i was talking about theory, i was talking pure theory, no labs, and no equipment! that's how a lot of places teach! no labs and no equipment!
    Good point. Theory alone doesn't really help much. Kind of like reading a book about fishing and going fishing with someone who has never read about it but has a lot of experience. The guy with experience will probably have a lot easier time catching fish.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    I actually looked into switching from TV/Appliance repair (my current profession) to doing HVAC work. The problem is I would have to start out doing installs (like everybody else). Entry level install work is a "young man's game". Wages are relatively low, not enough to support a family on. Work requires a lot of physical labor, not something your typical 40yr old can do as well as a guy 1/2 that age. This is the reason I think you don't get too many service technicians interested in the building science aspect of things. Most started out as "tin knockers" and learned the trade as they go.

Electrically HVAC isn't any more complicated than today's HDTV's or computerized appliances. I can handle the electrical side of it. The A/C's I've repaired have all been electrical problems. I would need to learn more on the refrigerant side, I understand the theory but lack real world knowledge.

I applied at for a HVAC contractor, the boss said my "theory test" (he gave out a standard written test to all applicants) was good. I just couldn't work for $8/hr as an installer for several years until i made it to service technician.
    Try another shop. Best time is right before summer kicks in. If you start as an installer, odds are if your good at it, you will be stuck as an installer. In the beginning small non union shops will try you out.

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    Good point. Theory alone doesn't really help much. Kind of like reading a book about fishing and going fishing with someone who has never read about it but has a lot of experience. The guy with experience will probably have a lot easier time catching fish.
    A better explanation would be: Reading a book on how to ride a bike. Doesn't matter how many times you read the book. You still have to fall down a few times until you get the hang (or the experience). Everybody remembers the first time you rode the bike the by yourself. I can remember when I did not know red was low, blue was med, black was high and common was white or yellow, brown went to the capacitor. And if you let the smoke out. It was time for another motor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123