Another Trane SWUD question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Trane SWUD question

Hey guys, I am new to package units and lost with the Trane SWUD units. Two of my compressors are going off on overload trip. Where to begin where to begin??? Any help would be much apperciated. Thanks

How bout pressures superheat and subcooling. How clean are the coils?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRMO View Post
    Hey guys, I am new to package units and lost with the Trane SWUD units. Two of my compressors are going off on overload trip. Where to begin where to begin??? Any help would be much apperciated. Thanks
    Need refrigerant pressures, superheat, subcooling, entering and leaving condenser water temps at full load, amp draw, RLA, air temps, etc.,etc.

These units are bad about tripping on overload when the head pressures are running high. May have fouled condenser tubes.

condensers are fouled or slimmed up...CTs will pick up that "thru amps"before they can trip the HPs do a mechanic start and grab that LL on the B circuit..whats a mech start rocker the unit off hold down the advanced button go to auto remote on rocker and then to auto local leave it there and release the advanced button...B...A....C...Dif you have more then 2 compressors and they go off as quick as starting ...check the pins and verify the resistances on those CTs phipips head screw driver all the mounted control boards that the grounding path for them to run..rubbed out ribbon pull the boards down check those bends...fan vibration rub outs/if you drop a head DEEP SOCKET ???i think 13/16ths stick a pinky in slimmed or not.how quick do the compressors go off after start?
    Last edited by maxster; 08-02-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

if you have a ton of these as a tech to tech i can send you the IOMs, UCP-1(blue LED) UCP-2 is the tan Human Interface panel sorry can't help on that... but SWUD yes totally...should be the BLUE LEDs break down trouble shooting IOM and the Trane Tech only have or had the 50+ pages on board to board readings,sub voltage readings resistances yada..yada..yada fault codes explained with reasons

Rough day today as it was hot as hell..... first thing i did in the morning was put gauges on and my low side was reading 88 psig and high side 310.... i was surprised at these high pressures.... had construction in the building going on so had no time to further investigate but before i left the compressors didnt go off on overload trip.... why??? thanks for the responses i will get better numbers tomorrow

310!!!wow!! Your head pressure should be under 200 on these units.

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    310!!!wow!! Your head pressure should be under 200 on these units.
    I agree lower the head will lower those amps and keep your compressors online. Those are pretty good units just need to be cleaned or a dirty strainer.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

im a centravac guy so im very fond of Trane.... but i scratch my head with these SWUD units..... i do constant maintenance on them i.e. new filters check belts strainers etc etc but on some days these units are humming like clock work other days its like a full moon for them.... but i will do a good check thru tomorrow and fill you guys in.... apperciate the help for us newbies

check the troth strainer on the tower if all the SWUDs are on one tower,condensers are fouled bigtime did you grab that liquid line on a restart?so here it is your tripping the CTs on overloads but not HPs at 310PSI plan on punching all the condensers and check on that tower treatment.what is the entering water pressure on the machines asking because you can get away with reusing the O rings on the heads and only take the dead end down...you had both compressors tripping the CTs only thing common is the condenser water...

Very nice maxster..... our chemical treatment has been iffy at times.... can i acid wash the tubes or only punch them?

I'm not an expert on those units but once I had one tripping and the culprit was the honeywell modutrol, it died leaving the valve half way open. the alco TXV's are also prone to fail shot starving the evaporator and overheating the compressors.

NO ACID just puch them if you don't have a remo type a rod and brush in a pinch for now...but like i said drop that head and do the pinky test you will feel that slim......... 5/8ths brush one per SWUD unit will get them clean plan on some water drain off when you drop the heads...check the condenser relief valve opening with a finger to see if there is oil there i think they blow at 375PSI should be tagged right on the valve....hate to repeat but DEEP SOCKET set to unbolt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast