Mastic sealant toxic? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jacquelyn - I just looked at the MSDS sheets for a couple of the mastics available through Johnstone's and there is nothing in them to be terribly concerned about. I say this as a research chemist, not an HVAC pro. Unfortunately in today's society you can not claim anyhting to be completely non-toxic, as even water can kill you and someone will take you to court. The duct mastics use latex to hold together fillers such as clay and calcium carbonate. These are all non-toxic. I would certainly prefer to have a system that is properly sealed, just my opinion though.

I pulled up the Material Safety Data sheet for Mastic.. I think its about as safe as anything else in a house. I painted this stuff on myself in my old house and never smelt anything from it. Very nice product.

http://rcdcorp.com/pdf/msds6.pdf

Certainly less toxic than heated up silicone.

we use this stuff
    http://www.mcgillairseal.com/textDoc...Ductsealer.htm
    about $40+/gal. works well and is oil-based. stinks until it dries. i'd imagine it's in most of the big buildings you go in and you'd never even know it.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

While I wouldn't reccomend eating mastic, I'd bet it's a lot better for you than a fast food restraunts food (might taste about the same too lol).

I don't recall what kinda we use, it's in a white pail with blue lettering (real observant aren't I?).

Just make sure it's sealed and you'll be a happy homeowner

Let me ask this one , I had a inspector wanting me to mastic the inside of the sleeve that goes from inside the blower compartment to the ducwork on a coleman mobile home furnace. This was quite a while back but I really was not for the idea of putting mastic in the air stream. I guess I would like to hear your opinions on that. Does anyone here put mastic in the air stream to seal off leaks and have they seen any problems with it staying in place over the years? I asked one of the mastic manufactures if I had to have a certain type to put in the air stream......they just didnt see why anyone would want it in the air stream. On a mobile home a lot of times you cant get to the outside of that sleeve. what your opinions ?

Originally posted by amickracing
    While I wouldn't reccomend eating mastic...
    To each his own.

When I get a nasty cut from sheet metal and it wont stop bleeding,then I smear it on the wound.It stops the bleeding and fights infection

Originally posted by jacquelynn
    By California law
    I prefer that all building materials in my house be as environmentally safe as possible.

That mastic is safe even safe enough to use as a shield to hug a tree with so you don't get a splinter, while hugging.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Originally posted by jacquelynn
    By California law
    I prefer that all building materials in my house be as environmentally safe as possible.

That mastic is safe even safe enough to use as a shield to hug a tree with so you don't get a splinter, while hugging.
    There ya have it. Now go eat your sprouts.

Thanks mhafley and chocfull-o-nuts for taking the time to look up that information. Thanks also tinner73 and amickracing (I don't eat fast food either, lol).

BTW, there was a company i worked with that did asbestos abatement, and I really liked them. They were priced for residential customers, took care to explain everything, and even left me some extra encapsulant in case I ran across some more asbestos... which I've used many times now.

Company name is "Envirocon", and Bob was my contact there. If you can't find them, email me and I'll try to look up their number.

Thanks Paul! I found their number.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12