Hmm

will using hot water to feed a boiler through the water feeder be any differnt than cold water feeding? the pressure relief has been going off and i cant seem to figure out why. can any one help?

Welcome to HVAC TALK.

Here's something to think about...

When was the last time you had that unit cleaned and serviced?

Now you have a problem with the unit. Fuel costs are skyrocketing.

So why not call in a professional to correct the problem and look over your heating equipment? While they are there they can clean and inspect your unit to insure a safe living environment for you and your loved ones. Not to mention, having an efficient running system could save you more than the cost of the service.

What's your safety worth? I'm guessing more than the repair bill.

Thanks for your understanding.

(we can't help DIY, due to site rules )

There are a couple of possible causes for the relief valve to let go on a hot water boiler. The relief valve is a last ditch attempt to keep a boiler from going out of control and you do not want to depend on it on a regular basis. I strongly recommend you get the problem attended to ASAP.

Hot water feeding shouldn't be a problem unless it is too hot for the mechanism in your pressure control valve.. Here is one of the things that I've run into that stupified me until I installed perssure guages next to the pressure controller. Every time something big tuirned off or on in the neighborhood, I'd see a spike in the pressure from the water line. There was no way to stop that, so I put in two pressure control valves in a row. One knocked the pressure down to maybe 50 pounds and the other was set at about 20 pounds. This took care of the problem.

You should pay close attention to the suggestion that you have your system insspected as per the last thread. You don't want you and your family ending up out in the street. It is nothing to fool with.
    Best regards,
    Dick Peters, P.E./CM

i would say expansion tank

when the tech solves the problem, have him install a new relief valve, it's not designed to trip repeatedly.

is there a low water cut off on this system? if not you may want to check on that too.

good luck.

Is this a steam or a hot water boiler? Depending on what type of system you have it could be a number of different problems for each one. A model and serial number of the boiler would help.
    Take your time & do it right!

expansion tank is where I'd look toooooooooooooo