What is the correct place to put the fill valve/reducing valve on a boiler. I have seen it piped both into the supply and into the return the past couple days. On another install it was piped into the top of the expansion tank below the air scoop. Is there a correct place to pipe it into. Like I said i have seen it done both ways lately and am curious.

I dont think it really matters, but I go with the direction of flow, incase of check valves....
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

i always tap in to the return at the bottom of the boiler

They all work but the ideal place is at the expanion tank if the cirulator is piped to pump away from the expansion tank. The expansion tank is the point of no pressure change. So when the circulator runs, the circulator won't suck in fresh water from the pressure reducing valve.

oil mans right!

Originally posted by oil lp man
    They all work but the ideal place is at the expanion tank if the cirulator is piped to pump away from the expansion tank. The expansion tank is the point of no pressure change. So when the circulator runs, the circulator won't suck in fresh water from the pressure reducing valve.
    This is the ONLY way to do this.

I concur

Only do it like oilman said.

Noel

yup, oilman is right, but I still like installing them on the return. That way when purging a zone, when the hot water is purged out, you know you got the entire loop flushed of air. The only time I've seen an overpressurized system is when the feed valve is piped directly above the circulator.