Thread: 23XL Won't Load

West Fla. since 2002, Central Va. before that

23XL Won't Load

This is a Frame 4 with V.I.

A year or so back we rebuilt the slide valve and seals.
    They were gummy and coming apart.

This past spring it wouldn't load sometimes so we found the main oil solenoid valve was gummed up. We replaced it.

Now it won't load again... but sometimes it will.
    The oil pressures and levels are good.
    When it's running at it unlaoded 20% FLA, the oil retrun line from the slide valve to the compressor is cool to cold. When it's loaded up, this line is nice and warm. I'm thinking that the small solenoid valves on the slide valve actuator are the problem.

I checked with Carrier and replacement valves (p/n: 23XL660001) are $770 each. These superseded p/n: 2TC0025D which were made by Alco.
    I checked with Emerson/Alco they are discontinued. Their old p/n is: 718RA-01.

Does anybody have access to the old Alco valves 718RA-01 / 2TC0025D or better yet, repair kits for them?

Or maybe some of you think my diagnosis is wrong...
    Comments or suggestions are most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by curlydogmaster View Post
    This is a Frame 4 with V.I.

A year or so back we rebuilt the slide valve and seals.
    They were gummy and coming apart.

This past spring it wouldn't load sometimes so we found the main oil solenoid valve was gummed up. We replaced it.

Now it won't load again... but sometimes it will.
    The oil pressures and levels are good.
    When it's running at it unlaoded 20% FLA, the oil retrun line from the slide valve to the compressor is cool to cold. When it's loaded up, this line is nice and warm. I'm thinking that the small solenoid valves on the slide valve actuator are the problem.

I checked with Carrier and replacement valves (p/n: 23XL660001) are $770 each. These superseded p/n: 2TC0025D which were made by Alco.
    I checked with Emerson/Alco they are discontinued. Their old p/n is: 718RA-01.

Does anybody have access to the old Alco valves 718RA-01 / 2TC0025D or better yet, repair kits for them?

Or maybe some of you think my diagnosis is wrong...
    Comments or suggestions are most welcome!
    What is your oil filter pressure drop? anything above 15 psid I would change the filter. Iwould replace the so;enoid valves along with rebuild the slide valve while the refrigerant is pumped over or out of the machine.

Yeah Steve, Hind sight is always 20/20...
    The oil filter was fresh after rebuilding the slide valve and has been changed since.
    When we were rebuilding the slide valve, we should have replaced the main oil solenoid valve and the 4 actuator solenoid valves at $770 each.
    Why didn't we replace the motor and retube the condenser while we were at it?
    What was I thinking?

Bear with him Steve...The moment he saw the gummy deposits on the slide valve components and decided "Not" to replace the obsolete load solenoids, he alone made the decision to leave now gummed up, obsolete solenoids in place hoping that the solenoids would repair themselves. Slim chance that will ever happen as Alco saw that the solenoids needed improvement and rightly came out with a much better design. As you well know the newer valves can and will operate much better even in even a gummied up oil environment. If I was a betting man, I would wager a dollar against a hole in a donut that this was a full maintenance contract and he was so proud that he saved the cost of valve replacement upgrade...
    Keep on keeping on Steve.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Quote Originally Posted by curlydogmaster View Post
    Yeah Steve, Hind sight is always 20/20...
    The oil filter was fresh after rebuilding the slide valve and has been changed since.
    When we were rebuilding the slide valve, we should have replaced the main oil solenoid valve and the 4 actuator solenoid valves at $770 each.
    Why didn't we replace the motor and retube the condenser while we were at it?
    What was I thinking?
    This is the second time in the same evening on separate threads on one internet service forum that you've done the "open mouth, swap feet" trick. Must be a new record. Might want to try the "Thanks for taking your time to give me your opinion" approach next time and see how that works out for ya'...

Thanks for taking your time to give me your opinion.
    ...and I appologized profusly for confusing YS with a YC on the other thread already.

For the record, although Mr RichardL was addressing Mr Belcher and not me directly:
    • the machine is not and never has been under any type of full service contract
    • Carrier rebuilt the slide valve in 2005 and never touched the solenoid valves either
    • Carrier also quoted the slide valve job a year ago and also didn't propose to replace any of the solenoid valves either. The slide valve was out of the machine for their inspection at the time.
    • I was not aware of a design issue with the original solenoid valves as I've never seen as bulletin on them.

Again though and sincerely, Thanks for taking your time to give me your opinion.