Post Likes
    What is the loss in efficiency when using a Bayvent or Chimney Vent kit? Would I be better off with a liner instead (aluminum or stainless)?

I hear the loss with a Bayvent is about 2% from my contractor but one of the members here said its more like 10%.... and also that my heat-pump will be losing heat through the same as well...

what's the collective opinion on this?

Post Likes
    YOUR LOSE IN EFFICIENCY WILL BE RELATIVLY LOW BUT YOUR FURNACE IS BEING USED AS A AUX HEAT SOURCE. IT SHOULD'NT AFFECT YOUR HP.

TREY

Post Likes
    I believe the loss is 6-8%. You will no longer have an 80 AFUE furnace though. I was told this by a bryant rep. whos name I will keep quiet. Always run a chimney liner or you may suffer chimney damage and besides, you need one for the orphaned water heater anyway..unless it a direct vent.
    “Now the freaks are on television, the freaks are in the movies. And it’s no longer the sideshow, it’s the whole show. The colorful circus and the clowns and the elephants, for all intents and purposes, are gone, and we’re dealing only with the freaks.” - Jonathan Winters

Post Likes

Thank you! this helped me greatly

I told him I wanted to do the aluminum liner and not the Bayvent kit.

Th 6-8% loss in efficiency would more than pay for the liner in the first year itself.