I am scheduled to get a new gas furnace installed in my house next week. The furnace will be moved from its original location. My neighbor, who has done extensive remodeling lately, told me that the building codes relating to furnace installations changed in California on October 1st. She says that an inspector told her to not get a permit after October 1 because the new codes are so difficult to meet it would cost a fortune to bring the new furnace installation up to code. We are having a reputable company do the installation. I asked their salesman about the new codes and he seemed unconcerned. I am afraid that we will run into lots of unexpected expenses during the installation.

Does anyone know anything about the new codes in California and how difficult it will be to pass inspection??? BTW, our house is 40 years old.

Thanks for any info!!!

ljlynn

Where are you located in ca.? CA. is divided into 16 climate zones. Some zones have different regulation to follow. The majority of which pretend to leaking existing ducts & the r value of insullation on the ducts.

Where did you go? did you move out of ca. already?

I'm in La Jolla which is on the coast in San Diego.

They will be replacing all the ducts with the new installation. My neighbor said something about pressure testing the gas line and that we would probably have to run an entirely new gas line from the source. Have you ever heard of anyone having to do that? Thanks!

I'm in Los Angeles. A contractor told me the new law requires the installers to test for duct leakage -- something the good companies have been doing all along anyway. It will cost the consumer around $300 extra, I think.

O`k, according to this bible i have from the state energy commission your in climate zone 7. It says climate zones 3 through 8 are exempt from the duct leak testing.AS for your gas line ,normaly it does not have to be pressure tested or changed unless it was undersized originaly or some appliances have been added to the line.Get the permit it 1s for your safety.

Los angeles is climate zone 9 so duct leak testing is required there.

Thanks for the info. I feel better now. Since our zone is exempt from the new duct testing requirement, I guess that means that it is ok if our ducts leak. We are definitely going to get the permits.

Thanks!

ljlynn

Duct leaks cost you money in lost eff.

So testing them could save you money in the long run.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You beat me to it beenthere,i was just going to say that.