Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There are plenty of good HVAC contractors in NJ...I know...I have met plenty of good New Jersey HVAC techs in North Carolina...I don't Know who you called, but I'm sure there are many in the phonebook...unless you just called numbers you got on a web-site or this message-board(just kidding)...
    About load sizing...there are some impotant things a person should Know about air flow and duct sizing if they are in the buisness...but load calc for a house is pretty simple...especially for any one with experience...
    If your looking for someone to discuss the load-calc you got off the web...then it's no wonder no one has called you back...try to find someone who's interested in your comfort and listen to there proposal...
    A wild guess Northern NJ...forced air heating system...2 story flat..1300 sq.ft 92'000btu furnace @ 90% effi.(perferably two stage) 2 Ton A/C and coil...your set...that will only set yot you back ?????????....Good Luck
    Havin'a good time is what life is all about.

I wish my problem was as simple as the way you described. I called at least 20 HVAC companies from the phone book asking for estimates of which 3 came to my house. Of the three I only have one written estimate which was done without even stepping a foot on the second floor. He quoted me with a 3 ton AC and no mention at all of heat unit size. After the third company gave me a "verbal" AC size of 5 ton, also without taking any measurements or stepping a foot on the second floor, I questioned his reasoning. This led me to buy my own software to do a loac calc. I came to this site to see if anyone could recomend a reputable HVAC professional. I am willing to spend the $$$$ but want to make sure I get the right sized system installed correctly.

My house is a bi-level, 1900 sqft using oil fuel. No gas service from the street.

jahart7
    please send me you info again and i will send you some names. seems when i was reading your email i hit the delete button instead of replie button. i would like to keep the names of the forum.
    sorry
    wayne

I don'mean to be caustic...sarcastic, of course, but not caustic....call some more...I am sure someone can deliver..... How about this...call a front page ad and say your "ready to buy today" if someone is ready to give a quote...If that dosn't work....then the problem is...well you figure it out... How about this...I gave you an estimate, now go with it and let the professionals handle it...Have it wrote in the proposal that the system will heat and cool your home...

Again, call around untill you are comfortable....Sincerly,
    Good Luck.

[Edited by addfreon on 11-09-2005 at 05:29 AM]

Not unusual for N.J. HVAC is not the only problem. Try getting any tradesman.
    I think the problem is it is such an overpopulated state with many white-collar workers.
    I tried to hire an electrician and plumber some time ago with the same results. Call 10 people, 3 call you back, 1 shows up to look at the job, no one gives an estimate.
    I have had some guys tell me there is so much work out there that they can pick and choose their jobs. They only take the easy high profit ones. Anyone out there struggling come to N.J. You can become a millionaire in a couple of years and then get the hell out!
    The other problem I see is most companies have one owner that sits in the office counting his money who hires a bunch of untrained kids for minimum wage and no benefits to do the work. Makes for some ugly stuff! You may want to ask people if they know anyone. Some of the good independent guys only work on word of mouth. They don’t bother with advertising. My suggestion is get a bunch of books, search the web, read, read, read and do it yourself. It will be a much better job.

Maybe it is a madhhuse in NJ....It is unfortunate though.that a homeowner can't get a decent contractor...

Frown

same problem here in south jersey!! many calls, no answers. one bid so far. exxxxtreeeemely high. as was stated before "so much work out there they can pick and choose". i am totally frustrated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12