Frustration in New Jersey!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    After reading many threads, I have noticed that most of you say the key factor in a good HVAC job is finding the right contractor. This is where I am having problems. I have called about 20-25 contractors from the phone book, looking to get estimates for a complete heating and AC overhaul (installing a furnace, AC and complete duct work). I have left lots of messages on answering machines but only had three contractors actually come to my house and two of the three seemed awful. They guestimated unit sizes and didn't ask for or take any measurements. The one contractor that seemed somewhat on the ball, I cannot get in touch with anymore. Does anyone know of a reliable contractor in North Jersey??

Another question I have is: How good is the HVAC-Calc software that is available through this forum?? I purchased a home owner license to do my own load calculations since one contractor quoted me for a 5 ton AC unit while another quoted me for a 3 ton. I did my own calculations using this software and it said my total heat gain was 23000 BTU (2 ton).

I am rather frustrated so any help will be encouraging right now!

Senior Tech Guest
    If you used the hvac calc available here correctly you will be right on the money.

where about in north jersey
    there are a lot of contractors i can give you depending on where you are

I live in Landing, NJ (right off of Rt. 80 and less than a mile from Lake Hopatcong).

Heck, right now a contractor that comes to my house when he says he will is almost considered reliable.

ok back to the rules. I know that there is no advertising but are you allowed to reccomend a company or contractor

Originally posted by coolcray3
    ok back to the rules. I know that there is no advertising but are you allowed to reccomend a company or contractor
    me bad sorry i think you are correct on this
    my email is in my profile send me an email and i can give you some thing
    you are way out of my range but there a a few good guys your way

Originally posted by coolcray3
    I don't see any problem with referring a company to someone when they ask.

There's nothing in the Rules about it...

Jahart,

If you're still in the market, give our company a call. We're located in Bergen County and perform heat calcs before every estimate. Sheet of references with every proposal...201-310-3929.

Confused

Good luck, amigo. I went through the same thing in NJ. We in this state are totally disconnected from the kind professionalism you find here on this board. Very frustrating....

NJ Bad News

I am not suprised that no one wants to do a load calc on your home. If your input is accurate, can't overstress accurate, don't second guess the load program. Go over the figures carefully, espcially the AC/H and the glass area.

Go with what it says, then select a unit based on Manual S.

I too live in NJ...it's very rare to see any quality work down here in South Jersey. Our state is way too corrupt to even enforce the building codes that are on the books. The big builders have bought the state and the codes.

I think in North Jersey you have a better chance pf getting a good job.

You won't get a good job because the "town inspector" is looking at it. You'll get a job job because the installer you "bought", not the brand name, cares about this work and reputation.

Be patient and good luck.

Try accu aire 609-208-90001

id be more than happy to take a look at what you have.im 15 min from you.#973 541 4840

Sounds good to me, "Coolmen". When is the best time for me to call you??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast