Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My wife and I are taking the big plunge and replacing our nearly 30-year old furnace and A/C. We're torn between 2 set-ups.

1. Heil DLX 90 Furnace, 12 SEER A/C, and matched coil.

2. Trane XR90 Furnace, XR13 A/C and, and matched coil.

The Trane set up would be about $600 more, but they seemed a little more thorough. I'm torn. Is there any reason to go with one over another? Both guys were VERY nice and seem very knowledgable regarding HVAC.

Oh yeah, both heat exchangers in the Heil furnace are stainless steel; whereas, in the Trane furnace, only the secondary is stainless. Both of the heat exchangers on the Trane haev a life-time warranty though, so it may not really matter. Also, the Trane is a sealed-combustion and I don't beleive the Heil is. It will be installed in our garage.

Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

PS. Both furnaces are 100k BTU and the A/C's are 3-ton.

Go with the Trane, you'll love it trust me.

I believe all 90+ furnaces are sealed combustion. Some actuall close off the burners, other enclose the entire vestibule.

Which contractor would you prefer? For only 600 difference, I would probably lean toward the Trane.

Your buying an installer

Words of Wisdom:

Your buying the installer...select the system that the best installer is using. Brand names make no difference here because of the industry consolidation.

Were manual J and S used. Did your contractor point out any limitations that exist in the present duct work. In particular, did he/she point out that you may never see 12 or 13 SEER ratings that the new equipment is CAPABLE of producing. Did he mention the possible freeze-up in a garage installion.

I don't see $600 for the Trane. You get 1 SEER point which probably won't pay you back peanuts. I think Heil finally got rid of the dumb valve. As long as it is the good 12 SEER A/C not the builder model, it's a nice quiet unit with good warranty. As many Intell-ignition boards as I've written warranties on, I have trouble justifying Trane's prices. At least the 3 ton XR13 should have a scroll, most of the 13 line is the old recip.

Ok, so much of this is the same, just installer preference it seems. We like the Heil installer a lot, but I'm afraid for some reason that the Trane product is better. I think it is because I've seen Trane advertisements and not Heil (TV is the Devil!).

The Trane unit is "sealed combustion" and will be installed using the second "fresh air" option. The Heil installer says he doesn't think the "fresh air" option is necessary. I can't figure out it the Heil is sealed combustion or not. It will be installed in our garage that is connected to our house (it's a bi-level home).

Do I need a sealed combustion unit with the 2nd pipe for fresh air? Is it ok to have a non-sealed combustion unit in a garage?

Please help me if you have any words of advice!

Jeremy

Thanks to all for your replies!

If you spend any time in the garage, keep in mind that the garage will stay a little warmer if you get the "fresh air" option. Without it, all the air that is consumed by the fire is going to be replaced by (cold) outdoor air inside the garage. The fresh air option just pipes outdoor air straight to the furnace so you don't suck that air into the garage. I'm a big fan of running the outdoor air through a pipe, myself, but it's not always a necessity.

Depending on the size of the furnace, the size of the garage, and the presence or absence of a fresh air intake in the garage to serve the furnace burner, it *can* be fine to have it "non-sealed" (drawing the combustion air from the garage instead of from outdoors). It's tough to make a blanket statement with the information available, though.

Trane or Heil ?

I would take the Trane. Craftmanship of unit a little better. Cabinet of Trane outdoor unit better built & will look newer longer. I would prefer the use of outside air for combustion for my furnace. Thats my opinion.

By using a two pipe system you eliminate the use of building air for combustion. This helps to keep the negitive pressure within the home to a minimum. You never really eliminate it unless the home is completely sealed, no doors no windows ect, you get the point. That being said, a two pipe system in the garage will not use any garage air for combustion. A 100K furnace can consume a lot of air when it's running full tilt in the coldest of months. I guess my concern would be the fact that there are tons of things that produce flamable gases in most garages. It may be a minor concern to some but I'm a worry wart and tend to err on the saftey side. I'm a Trane guy but also put in the ICP line, Heil, Arcoaire et. al., and wouldn't feel bad about putting the Heil in. They do have a two pipe 90+ furnace and you should insist on the dealer quoting it.Baldloonie said that he thinks they are not using the Smart Valve (dumb valve, I agree) ignition by Honeywell.

Sorry had an emergency call. Anyway, the H/W system is ok, there really isn't much else out here any better. Its just from a service standpoint H/W is a pain to change the ignitors or clean the flame sensors. They almost force you to just change the whole pilot assy. And that can be a pain too.
    So I think either brand is ok just get the two pipe model.

Wally01, so, if price wasn't an issue, you'd feel fine going with either one?

As a Trane Dealer my opinion is bias, but I would go with the Trane. Don’t sacrifice quality for money.

>>>edit... please turn off your caps.

[Edited by jultzya on 11-08-2005 at 07:36 PM]

I'm a Trane dealer and Arcoaire is my second line.I was putting in Arcosire before I was Trane and feel good about either. I have virtually no problems with either one. I don't care for the smart valve thing but can't say there has been a big issue with them. I say that but I also have to say that I am a small shop with just a couple guys. The bigger service companys may have a different opinion. Ihave Arcoaire at my house because I wasn't a Trane dealer then, I have Trane at my dads' because I am now. Yeah, if price wasn't an issue it would'nt matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast