Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking

I still cannot get a handle on this. I know Goodman bought out AMANA a few years ago. I know that some Amana units are exactly the same as the Goodman units. The Amana CPLT series is exactly the same as a Goodman of similar letters.

However, Amana offers RHE heat pumps that Look (from the pictures shown on Amana site) very different than anything that Goodman offers. Also, Amana offers some units with R410a and Goodman does not offer anything with R410a

Finally, the Amana RTG 16 SEER, R410, is totally diffeent than anything Goodman has on there website.

I had decided upon the Goodman 13 SEER with variable speed air handler with a company that also sells Lennox. The Amana salesman (that I also like and think will do a good job) is telling me that yes, many Amana and Goodman units are exactly the same thing. However, he is trying to convince me that the high seer units of AMANA are truly Amana products and not the same units produced by Goodman. He says AMANA has been around for many, many years before Goodman bought them and the high end units are still made just like AMANA's have always been built and are not the same thing as Goodmans. To sum it up, he says that the AMANA RTG 16 SEER Ultron is of much better quality that the units sold by Goodman (meaning the 13 SEER unit I was going to purchase from another company).

Can anyone shed light of this issue? I can actually purchase the Amana RTG 16 SEER Ultron for about $1000 more than the Goodman 13 SEER. The Ultron gets 15 SEER and 12 EER and has a two stage compressor warrantied for life with replacement of entire condensor unit if ever fails. The Goodman 13 SEER gets 13 SEER and 11.6 EER (I think). I like that the Ultron uses R410a but I am fine with R22 --not convinced that it really matters.

If the Amana Ultron really is of higher quality than a Goodman unit then I think this would cause me to bump up to the Amana Ultron.

I think this will be my last question. I know I have asked many questions. This forum is a great help. Thanks for everyone help.

J. D.

Goodman/Amana products are in a constant state of flux that in my opinion are going in a positive direction.

Goodman is a single manufacturer with two brands that do share a lot of the same features and even complete units.

There will be a Goodman labeled R410a series that will be available soon. Most of the Goodman/Amana coils and air handlers are what are referred to as "corporate" units because they are rated with both brands.

Goodman is selling an Amana line called "Distinctions" which is the Goodman product with the Amana label on it.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Talking Update on Goodman Choice

Robo and others:

I finally feel very good about my decision. I have talked with a Lennox dealer that advises me to put in Goodman instead of Lennox (better value & honestly, he said less trouble -- especially, if repairs needed later). Also, a Rheem/Rudd dealer just contacted me (I did not think he was going to answer my call a few days ago). He said that although he sells Rheem/Rudd, he has begun to advise and push the Goodman units. He say's that the Goodman is what he put in his own house.

Seems like whatever certified dealer I choose they advise buying the Goodman instead of what their big add in in the yellow pages states they sell. These are not fly by night dealers -- they are the most respected, long-time businesses in our area. More than one has told me how expensive it is to replace Carrier, Lennox, and Trane coils and other parts. Also, that the parts are very expensive and sometimes must be special ordered whereas Goodman parts are inexpensive, easy to put in, and readily available.

Goodman has the best warranties also. Lifetime compressor, 10 year parts and labor on everything.

I have decided upon the Goodman/Amana brand. Only question is do I get the Goodman 13 SEER with VS air handler or pony up another $700 and get the Amana RTG Ultron 16 SEER with two stage compressor. The Ultron is tempting me (I think I am leaning to bump up to it) because of lifetime replacement of entire condensing unit if compressor ever fails, it uses R410a (putting to rest any worries about R22 cost 15 years from now, and because we have very hot summers in south Georgia and it has 2 more SEER rating on a 5 ton system than the 13 SEER Goodman.

Yep, Goodman/Amana for me -- let's go all the way with the Amana Ultron -- I finally feel relieved and good about my choice.

I love this forum. Now that I have made my decision I am going to hate not being able to post. Oh, I guess I can give input on how things work out and try and help others.

J. D.

I have to agree that being in Georgia you need to go for the higher SEER system.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    For the humidity issues and your comfort go two speed/stage.

Talking You Hear the same thing both ways

Just had a dealer trying to sell me the 13 Seer Goodman with VS air handler tell me that "Oh, you don't want an Amana, there quality is not up to that of Goodman." I told him that most of the equipment was exactly the same between Goodman and Amana -- he tried not to accept this. I told him that I had heard that Goodman bought Amana to try and improve high end equipment image. He kept trying to say how Goodman was better than Amana.

I told him to go to Amana web site on his computer (while I had him on the phone) and look at 13 SEER unit and then go to Goodman web site (which looks almost exactly like Amana) and compare. The VS Air handlers for the heat pumps even use the exact same model numbers.

I told him that I was leaning towards the Amana Ultron 16 SEER that the Amana dealer was offering me. He quickly say's well my boss is just walking in the door -- let me check with him about this. 30 minutes later he calls to tell me that yes, they can put in the Amana Ultron and how good a piece of equipment it is.

He really did seem suprised that I basically proved to him that Goodman and Amana are basically the same or very, very, close.

Anyway. I thought it was odd that he bad talked Amana and praised goodman when usualy it is the other way around.

Anyway, I plan to stick with the Amana Ultron, 16 Seer.

J. D.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    in a humid climate besure to get the "best" Thermostat/Control they have for dehumidification.One that will reduce the fan speed when the humidity is above your desired set point,and hopefully one that will keep it in low speed based on "demand " and not just a timed number of minutes.

I think White Rodgers makes one ,might even come with an Amana label on it.The control they select or you chosse will be key to actual comfort and operating costs,so question them about it,you'll be glad you did in the long run.

Ok RoBo, your using another computer and pretending to be help in Georgia right? Of all the dasterdly tricks this one takes the cake. You almost had me though, I was ready to dump our Carrier line and go right to Goodman. Boy, pretending that a Rheem Ruud dealer AND a Lennox dealer would tell a customer to go with the Goodman. Nice try
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

goodman is junk always has been and will continue to be.
    goodman is made to sell, there prices cannot be lower than every manufacture of air conditioning products and have the quality. amana would be a better option than most but if i were you i would stick to trane, carrier deluxe systems or lennox deluxe system. if you want to save money up front go for the goodman, just remember the warranty only covers parts not the materials or labor to change those parts. good luck

response to airworx

airworx

You are wrong. There is currently a special offered by both goodman and amana that includes 10 YEAR PARTS, LABOR & MATERIALS on all components when you put in a new system. Goodman warranties the compressor for life of unit -- Amana beats this by lifetime warranty of compressor with entire condensor replacement of it ever fails.

I don't see how anyone can argue with this warranty. My carrier dealer gave me 10 year compressor, 5 year parts, and one year labor. He said to cover parts & labor would be quite expensive $500 plus and the 13 SEER unit he was trying to sell me was already $2000 more than the goodman.

I don't doubt Carrier is a good Heat Pump -- BUT Lexus is a very good car -- but I cannot afford it. Also, my Toyota Camry will last and run just as good as the Lexus it just will not cost me nearly as much. I don't bring people by my house to show off my heat pump like I would a car anyway.

J. D.

In Georgia, the Goodman and Amana brands are more seperate then other places in the country. For this reason, you still have "Amana" dealers and "Amana" distributors. It is similar in PA but not quite as dramatic. In Georgia, some contractors really may not be as aware of the Goodman/Amana relationship these days.

As far as humidity control; there is no need for anything fancy. The fan control on the AEPT control board is designed to lower the blower speed when the circuit of a standard humidistat is open due to humidity rise. In this sense, it is a demand control and not a timed control.

Question Question for Robo

Robo

Because I will be getting an Amana Ultron 5 ton system it comes with a MBE blower not the AEPT. I think this is a modular something something where there is a coil unit and a blower unit.

Do you know anything about this variable speed air handler?

Did you mean that I did not need any fancy type of thermastat or did you mean that the two-speed Amana Ultron outside compressor was more than I needed?

Thanks for all your help. J. D.

The MBE is the essentially the blower only section of the AEPT.

I meant you do not need any special thermostat for humidity control. You do need a two stage heat and two stage cooling stat for the system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast