Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm still working out wether to bite the bullet and pay for my own high quality furnace Trane/Rheem/whichever top brand and quality installer (which I'm willing to do), or, to go with the program from the gas company where they'll bring in one of the contractors they "work with" (obviously one who'll work for cheap) and install some generic furnace. Right now they're going with; Dewey Brown, to install a Concord??? single stage furnace.
    Is this a steer clear furnace/situation?
    yitzie

Made by Armstrong. We use them on rentals. A no frills model but for the buck, no reason to avoid them. As long as sized and installed properly including proper venting (chimney liner if using a chimney) it will be a good furnace.

Thanks much,
    yitzi

only problem will be the amount the gas co. pays the sub-contractor, not much. which also means inexperienced, low pay installers.

do you like gambling?

good luck.

I just installed one for my brother, 125K BTU. I was impressed with it. Well built, and like Loonie said, for the money it seems to be a good unit.
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

Silicone carbide ignitor and clamshell heat exchanger... I'd be cautious. Any furnace will heat fine the first few years, but what about the long run?

Any furnace will heat when it comes out of the box....how about 3 years from now...think about what you want...do you want to come out cheap or do you want comfort...how about having both!....investigate and get a good deal out of a quality installation contractor....there's plenty in the phonebook....
    I'm not bashing Concord air....but hey...gas utility,third party installers....who reccomends that crap.......just watch-out.

Good Luck,
    Havin'a good time is what life is all about.

Originally posted by redhawk
    I just installed one for my brother, 125K BTU. I was impressed with it. Well built, and like Loonie said, for the money it seems to be a good unit.

I'm curious ...125,000 btu/hr furnace.....whats the square footage of the house and what was the total air return size for the system...in otherwords...what is the return CFM.....the reason why I'm curious....I hav'nt sold a 125,OOO btu furnace at 80% effi.. but once..and that was for a garge that kept the doors open all the time...WOW
    Havin'a good time is what life is all about.

Originally posted by addfreon
    Originally posted by redhawk

I'm curious ...125,000 btu/hr furnace.....whats the square footage of the house and what was the total air return size for the system...in otherwords...what is the return CFM.....the reason why I'm curious....I hav'nt sold a 125,OOO btu furnace at 80% effi.. but once..and that was for a garge that kept the doors open all the time...WOW
    His square footage was 2200. He purchased the furnace then called me and said he needed some help. I go there and help him install it. Was a 90+ furnace, with 2000 cfm. I asked him about the size and he told them he wanted the biggest one they make. You have to know my brother to understand. I pointed out that he needed to add a return, but he said he did not have the money. I suggested that he put a filter on both sides to draw as much air in as possible.

[i]

His square footage was 2200. He purchased the furnace then called me and said he needed some help. I go there and help him install it. Was a 90+ furnace, with 2000 cfm. I asked him about the size and he told them he wanted the biggest one they make. You have to know my brother to understand. I pointed out that he needed to add a return, but he said he did not have the money. I suggested that he put a filter on both sides to draw as much air in as possible. [/B]

this is what you will get. spend a little extra and be safe.

His square footage was 2200. He purchased the furnace then called me and said he needed some help. I go there and help him install it. Was a 90+ furnace, with 2000 cfm. I asked him about the size and he told them he wanted the biggest one they make. You have to know my brother to understand. I pointed out that he needed to add a return, but he said he did not have the money. I suggested that he put a filter on both sides to draw as much air in as possible. [/B]

this is what you will get. spend a little extra and be safe.
    this post will have the furnace drawing exaust gasses into the return, which will then be dispersed into the home.

bet there wasn't a permit pulled on this one.

this post will have the furnace drawing exaust gasses into the return, which will then be dispersed into the home.

bet there wasn't a permit pulled on this one. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exaust gasses dispersed into the home, how do you figure that? The intake is drawn from the outside. The exaust is vented to the outside of the house. The air being drawn into the furnace is from the basement and open stairway to the upstairs.

I suggested that he put a filter on both sides to draw as much air in as possible. [/B]
    water heater?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast