WaterFurnace compressor failure

Hi We have a Waterfurnace E series Premier. 5ton I believe. Installed in 2004. It began to act up this spring. Struggled to heat and then when it got hot their was no cool air. Green blinking light blinking away as always. Waterfurnace repairman says the Bristol compressor is toast. He says that most of them went bad before the warranty was done. A common problem. Our 5 year warranty? is up. We have lots of loop and don't run it hard so I surmise it lasted longer than the average Bristol comprssor. Repairman says $ for another Bristol compressor(duh) or $ for a better brand with a new control board. These would have a one year warranty.(big whoop)
    Obviously if I was the run of the mill Duffus consumer I would spend the $ and hope for the best. However I'm a cheap stubborn Norwegian with !/4 Fightin Irish and I have a vague recollection of a Waterfunace brochure (and my installer/repairman company) bragging that this was the best ground source heat pump on the face of the Planet! If I continue at this rate, there will be no savings with a ground source heat pump. Am I throwing good money after bad to repair this unit. Thanks
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-02-2011 at 06:42 AM. Reason: prices

Twilly says get a new unit with exteneded warranty and take the tax credit of 30%
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

What is the failure mode? (toast, bad, broken, gone, out, dead, etc don't really mean anything.) Compressors fail for a reason, so the next question for the contractor is
    Why did it fail? or What causes this type of failure?

Consider a second opinion. Many "bad" compressors are not bad at all. Factory warranty autopsies on "bad" compressors prove that.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

DaleMason,

We will be more than happy to look into your concerns further. Please provide your model number, serial number, and the name of the contractor you are working with. If do not wish to post your information publicly, please feel free to send us a private message.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

Do take WF Inc up with his offer.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WF_Inc View Post
    DaleMason,

We will be more than happy to look into your concerns further. Please provide your model number, serial number, and the name of the contractor you are working with. If do not wish to post your information publicly, please feel free to send us a private message.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.
    now this is a quality operation! awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMason View Post
    Hi We have a Waterfurnace E series Premier. 5ton I believe. Installed in 2004. It began to act up this spring. Struggled to heat and then when it got hot their was no cool air. Green blinking light blinking away as always. Waterfurnace repairman says the Bristol compressor is toast. He says that most of them went bad before the warranty was done. A common problem. Our 5 year warranty? is up. We have lots of loop and don't run it hard so I surmise it lasted longer than the average Bristol comprssor. Repairman says $ for another Bristol compressor(duh) or $ for a better brand with a new control board. These would have a one year warranty.(big whoop)
    Obviously if I was the run of the mill Duffus consumer I would spend the $ and hope for the best. However I'm a cheap stubborn Norwegian with !/4 Fightin Irish and I have a vague recollection of a Waterfunace brochure (and my installer/repairman company) bragging that this was the best ground source heat pump on the face of the Planet! If I continue at this rate, there will be no savings with a ground source heat pump. Am I throwing good money after bad to repair this unit. Thanks
    I had unit that we put in in 2004. It was still in its 10 year warranty. WF gave the HO a brand new unit with 10 year warranty because the bristol comp. was bad. All HO had to pay was for the install.

All WF units that I've installed have a 10 year warranty, you have to buy down to the 5 year.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.