Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 25 of 25
  1. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NV, NOT Las Vegas
    Posts
    66
    i seem to remember either reading or hearing about planned geothermal communities doing this very thing with a specially developed 'coaxial' sewer pipe. It may have even been overseas, but it would be very interesting to see it work. I wouldnt do the septic thing as freezing your tank, inlet, outlet, or leach field would really be $hitty times.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,893
    Seems like a reasonable idea to me...

    I am looking at a piece of property to purchase ne3xt year. It is in the back of a neighborhood and has a house with 5+ acres. There is room for Geo on the property... I am interested in how to set up a Geo system.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  3. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mahlv View Post
    i seem to remember either reading or hearing about planned geothermal communities doing this very thing with a specially developed 'coaxial' sewer pipe. It may have even been overseas, but it would be very interesting to see it work. I wouldnt do the septic thing as freezing your tank, inlet, outlet, or leach field would really be $hitty times.
    The community you're thinking of is in Sudbury, Ontario. It's a couple of years old at this point but I have not heard any results.

    I agree on keeping away from a septic system. That can be pretty messy if you're in a heating dominated climate and you freeze things.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,477
    How in the world would you get your "heat exchanger" into a main sewer line? I'm sure if you asked permission to "tap" into it with your lnes they would say no but hell no.

    You would be occupying space in their "hydraulically engineered sewer pipe and thus reduce it's capacity. Plus they would be opening Pandora's box for all kind of folks wanting special favors for this or that. I'm curious if you actually thought any about those issues. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  5. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    How in the world would you get your "heat exchanger" into a main sewer line? I'm sure if you asked permission to "tap" into it with your lnes they would say no but hell no.

    You would be occupying space in their "hydraulically engineered sewer pipe and thus reduce it's capacity. Plus they would be opening Pandora's box for all kind of folks wanting special favors for this or that. I'm curious if you actually thought any about those issues. Thank you very much
    I wasn't involved in the project, but the geo lines were fabricated into the concrete sewer pipes. It's not impacting the flow... at least as long as it's not freezing the water. I too hope the engineers involved thought of all of that.

    If you google "sudbury geothemal sewer lines" the second link down gives some info on the project.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,477
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsthat View Post
    I wasn't involved in the project, but the geo lines were fabricated into the concrete sewer pipes. It's not impacting the flow... at least as long as it's not freezing the water. I too hope the engineers involved thought of all of that.

    If you google "sudbury geothemal sewer lines" the second link down gives some info on the project.
    Understood. My post was really directed at the OP. Thanks for the reply.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    139
    Please calm down glennac. Yes the OP (me) has thought about some of those issues. First you must know my backroud. Working with and designing those hydraulically engineered sewer lines is how I make a living. To say something that is occupying space in a line would deminish capacity is a blanket statement and is false. It is not unusual for a 21" pipe to only have a couple inches of flow in them for most of the year. During heavy rains yes flow might increase to half or more flow in the pipe. It is something that would have to be evaluated when looking at a line.

    As far as not being allowed to tap into a system I have already asked about the idea and some interest has been shown. I need to get more information but am busy doing something else at the moment.

    Pandoras box was opened years ago. Currently there are agencies that do rent (for a lack of a better way to describe it) there sewer infrastructure out to other utilities as a way of not having to dig up streets.

    I am also not to conceded at the moment with how to install something in the sewer pipe. That would be a discussion farther down the road when trying to figure out different methods for the transfer of heat. Currently you would be surprised what gets shoved into a system on daily basis. There is an entire industry centered around it.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,477
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzzlle View Post
    Please calm down glennac. Yes the OP (me) has thought about some of those issues. First you must know my backroud. Working with and designing those hydraulically engineered sewer lines is how I make a living. To say something that is occupying space in a line would deminish capacity is a blanket statement and is false. It is not unusual for a 21" pipe to only have a couple inches of flow in them for most of the year. During heavy rains yes flow might increase to half or more flow in the pipe. It is something that would have to be evaluated when looking at a line.

    As far as not being allowed to tap into a system I have already asked about the idea and some interest has been shown. I need to get more information but am busy doing something else at the moment.

    Pandoras box was opened years ago. Currently there are agencies that do rent (for a lack of a better way to describe it) there sewer infrastructure out to other utilities as a way of not having to dig up streets.

    I am also not to conceded at the moment with how to install something in the sewer pipe. That would be a discussion farther down the road when trying to figure out different methods for the transfer of heat. Currently you would be surprised what gets shoved into a system on daily basis. There is an entire industry centered around it.
    Interesting, yeah I knew about the low flow (most of the time) in a sewer system especially like in Atlanta where they have a combined storm and sanitary system which I understand are not allowed anymore. Just wanted to know if you had thought about those issues before posting here and just whistling Dixie.

    If one really wanted to get serious about saving energy you would have nuclear power plants built downtown and use the waste heat to generate steam for heat in the winter and run absorption chillers in the summer and sell it to the downtown buildings but that is so so non PC that the wackos would be screaming theri lungs out. Good luck with your efforts there. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    66
    I have never tried this but would be interested in how it turns out. I think you could make one pass through the septic tank and not have a problem with freezing but not putting the whole loop in there. Otherwise in January it would be one frozen block creating other problems.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    S.W. Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    622
    OK.....everyone on your street...take a turn with flushing your toilet....lol

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,171
    Septic tanks are a "no" as they keep them selves warm, to keep the digestion process going. Cool it down, you stop it. You would soon end up with a tank full of shyte
    Grey water does work, in a settling tank, but you do need to do the maths to ensure a correct energy balance. (better with large families, lots of general water use)
    It is common to run part of the loop along a sewer pipe to pick up a little benefit.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    106
    This was done in Vancouver for the Olympics. Also been done in Scandinavia for district heating systems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event