Possible relocating to Austin Texas...

Hi...I'm thinking of moving to Austin area next year and want to get some insight on any journeyman's license or certifications needed to work in the state. Currently living in Arizona and just getting start in the trade. I went through a two year hvac program and working for a hvacr commercial contractor I've been with for about 4 months. Hopefully by time I'm ready to move I'll have about 1 to 1 1/2 years of actually work experience. Any info at all would be helpful thanks.

The state requires you to register as a technician. licensing is a different monster..
    http://www.license.state.tx.us/acr/acr.htm

Talking

all you need to do is register w the state. its like $25 or something. no one uses the word "journeyman" here either.
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

Ok thanks for the info.

Did you end up moving to Austin? I am looking to retire from my company in Naperville and looking to head south. Right now I am debating between Texas or Florida because of the tax benefits and was wondering what the market was like in Austin. I have to do something part time otherwise boredom will get the best of me. Its kind of funny all my life I complain about work but I cant see my self not doing something..haha. Please let me know about the Austin market. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.W.E. View Post
    Did you end up moving to Austin? I am looking to retire from my company in Naperville and looking to head south. Right now I am debating between Texas or Florida because of the tax benefits and was wondering what the market was like in Austin. I have to do something part time otherwise boredom will get the best of me. Its kind of funny all my life I complain about work but I cant see my self not doing something..haha. Please let me know about the Austin market. Thanks
    I could use someone part time if you're interested. The market is great here. Although the cost of living is getting high if you want to live in the city. Lots of good customers that don't mind spending money on quality work and high efficient equipment. I went on my own last year and am killing it.
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

I worked in Austin for a year right out of school because it was the only place I could find that would hire a recent graduate with absolutely no experience. In Austin there are panhandlers on every corner, gays walk down the street holding hands, a solid 25% of the residents are from Mexico, the motto is "keep Austin Wierd", alot of pretentious people are kind of not friendly, taco trucks drive thru residential construction are blowing their horns all day, and the cost of living is very high. I'm back in south Texas now and feel more comfortable.

I am still planning to move also in Austin and I am just want to know if the economy is good there specially in doing business. I just want to ask what business is fit there. Hope you can help me and thank you. I am a technicians all kinds much appreciated. For all your help.

God bless you all
    RG
    http://www.theawefactor.com

Try going a little more south to San Antonio, plenty of work and all the good firms are looking for good people. Cost of living is less and you don't have as many traffic issues to deal with. I call Austin, Austin California as there seems to be more liberals and enviromentalist there than any where else in the state.

I've been looking for work in Austin for well over a year now, since graduation from TSTC, and have only interviewed 5 or 6 times. All the ads I see are for techs with a minimum of 5 years experience and seem written by some surly individuals. Had I known it would be this difficult to get into the AC business (even with a degree) I might have studied something else. I can't even add up the amount of resume submittals in the past year and a half. I currently work on process chillers and have for the last 1 and 1/2 years.