Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by contactor
    a pleated filter also has more surface area.
    Measure the pressure drop on a 1" pleated you will be surprised.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

I read through all of this and no one asked how thick the filter is. The area of a filter is not just L x W unless its a mesh type. Most are pleated, and these can be 1, 2, or 4 or more inches thick.

My 4 ton system runs at 1400 CFM and the 16x25x4 filters I buy are maxxed out at 1600 CFM. A 16x25x1 pleated type probably has insufficient filter area. You could try taking an old dirty filter you're using now and rip if out of its frame. Then pull it tight and measure the area.

What's better is to find a filter you like that has technical data available where they will tell you what the max CFM is for that filter and what pressure drop you get with it.

Originally posted by suemarkp
    I read through all of this and no one asked how thick the filter is.
    He posted pics in another thread, it had a standard filter grille.

Originally posted by davidr
    After your done try a Paul Harvey filter

Originally posted by trane
    Originally posted by davidr
    After your done try a Paul Harvey filter
    That man has helped to kill a lot of compressors & heat exchangers.

Good Day.

Code in my area would dictate a minumum of 600 sq in for a 3 ton system. Example 20x30. Which falls in line with manufacturers recommendations.

HO's POV

There are a lot of pros contributing excellent thoughts but here is one observation from a homeowner's point of view. If the filter remains at 16*25 and 1 inch think, that is EXACTLY the kind of situation where a 3M "best" filter is actually the worst choice.

If you go with this small-ish filter (and many do) then the owner should really consider himself limited to see-thru mesh filters. What my recent tech calls "rock stoppers", filters whose main purpose is to protect the equipment via low resistance and a minimum of filtration.

Your system will probably be operating at rather high ESP (External Static Pressure), which will somewhat increase fan costs and somewhat stress the rest of the system. But it may operate under those circumstances for years and years, as mine did. I'm beginning to think if you ask for a measurement of your ESP, and your tech does not look at you like you have two heads, then you have an above-average tech.

Best of luck -- P.Student

[Edited by perpetual_student on 11-07-2005 at 11:51 AM]

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. The filter does not sound loud or anything. I can only hear it if I stand right below it. The filter is 16x25x1, so... I will ask the contractor to measure the ESP (I hope I got the acronym right) and see what he says. I will keep you posted.

By the way, would it me hard for the contractor to expand the filter opening to 25 by 25 or something similar? I am asking just in case he has do to it, I don't want to be an ass and ask something that's out of the ordinary or abnormal.

Pictures

by the way, here are the pictures:

http://members.cox.net/mlbussert/index.htm

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by mlbussert
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. The filter does not sound loud or anything. I can only hear it if I stand right below it. The filter is 16x25x1, so... I will ask the contractor to measure the ESP (I hope I got the acronym right) and see what he says. I will keep you posted.

By the way, would it me hard for the contractor to expand the filter opening to 25 by 25 or something similar? I am asking just in case he has do to it, I don't want to be an ass and ask something that's out of the ordinary or abnormal.

If I remember the 16X25 looked like it was in the ceiling,if so and enough space exists above the grille ,this may work.

Behind the filter grill ,install rails to form an "A" or a "V" in the box behind the grille,then use two filters.Depending on the space you could use two 10 or 16X25 filters.

The noise you hear is likely due to the grille ,and won't change much by increasing the filter size.

Originally posted by beachhvac
    Code in my area would dictate a minumum of 600 sq in for a 3 ton system. Example 20x30. Which falls in line with manufacturers recommendations.
    do you put in alot of 20x30 filters? is the top of the filter rack cut into the heat exchanger? i've never.... ever seen that big a filter in a resi system. if he needs 30x20 for his 3-tonner he's gonna have to re-frame his house.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

20 by 30

Not a lot was done first class with my original system, two 3.5 ton units in one house. Returns undersized, one flex return crimped so its flow reduced, haphazard sizing of supplies, etc. But they did use a 20*30 filter for each system. Judging by the way the local stores stock this size, it must have been common for others in this locale too.

Best wishes -- P.Student

i put in Rheem equipment. the units are 34" tall. that would put a 20x30 filter well into the heat exchanger.

anywhoo...i don't think the OP should be worried.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast