Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Hey guys

As I posted before, my new system got installed a couple of days ago. So far I am happy, but in reading the manual, I realized that the manufacturer requires a "filter size" of 4 s/f. Yet the contractor installed a 16x25 filter, which is about 70% of a 4s/f filter. Is this a problem? The contractor is coming back next week, and I would like to be prepared when he is here. Any input is appreciated.
    Here is the original post:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=88812

16x25 is pretty standard around here. Some units even have a 14x25. You didnt list the size of the unit, but if its a 5 ton system, it should have a return plenum on both sides.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Unit size

I am sorry. I had a lapsus. The size is 3 ton. The model is American Standard YCX036G. I hope this helps.

So, even if the manufacturer says 4 sq./ft., it's okay to put a slightly smaller filter? I just would like to know. Again, thanks for the help.

16x25 is plenty of filter for that if you lok at the unit you will see the the the cut out size on the unit is made to fit a 16x25 filter grille you dont have room for anything bigger unless you add another to the other side.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    A larger filter, will be less restrictive,and allow a better type media to be used .

Furnaces and air handlers often come with "small" low restriction filters in the cabinet,that doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.

Some jobs,it's major surgery, to install a larger filter.If you have a large return grille or several of them,it's often easy to buy "filter grille" returns and install filters there.

It all depends on how good you want to filter the air, what filter your going to use, and how often your going to change it. I would have put a larger filter in. How noisy is it now?

This is a package unit and most of the replies are assuming it a regular furnace.

16x25 filter grille with return plentum is standard for almost any furnace.york even ships them with there furnaces and thats all the bigger the blower box is on the unit unless you use both sides. you can pull almost 2000 cfms through that opening.

Originally posted by coolcray3
    16x25 filter grille with return plentum is standard for almost any furnace.york even ships them with there furnaces and thats all the bigger the blower box is on the unit unless you use both sides. you can pull almost 2000 cfms through that opening.
    This statement is not correct. There is no standard filter size on all furnaces. The installer has to know what the CFM requirements are and what filter type they want to use in order to size the filter.

You can pull 2000 CFM through a 16x25 opening but not with a filter in it. sometimes the filter has to be external to the furnace to make it larger or use a media type filter.

so you are going to tell me that if you put a 16x25 filter rack on both sides of any furnace with the proper size duct its not going to beenough.

its only a 3 ton unit with a 16x25 filter which only requires 1200 cfms and thats not good.

im sorry but who is doing the adding last i checked 16x25 is 4sq ft doesnt 16x25=400 or am i doing something wrong.

144 inches per sq. foot....btw, I use 16x25 for a 3 ton unless the ductwork is borderline...anything above I go to 20x25 and fabricate a 4 inch base so I can draw air on the side and below the blower.

A square foot is equal to 144 square inches so 4 sq ft is 576 sq in.

A 16 X 25 filter will probably have a pressure drop quite a bit higher than what it should moving 1200 CFM through it.

Have the installers check the pressure drop of the filter & post those numbers if you can.

Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast