Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Gas furnace exhaust vent options

We are having a new gas furnace installed this coming week.
    Our old oil furnace was vented up the chimney, but the high efficiency new gas furnace apparently cannot go up the chimney, but has to vent out the side of the house.

Unfortunately, the next door neighbor's driveway is about 2 feet from the side of my house, and they park their cars right there. I feel bad spewing exhaust right into their property.

If there's nothing to be done, they'll just have to deal. But are there other options, like installing a vertical pvc pipe or something that carries the exhaust up to the roof? I plan to ask my contractor as well, but I would be most appreciative if any of you have thoughts about this.

Many thanks!

can't see the house here to tell what options you have.
    would recommend the neighbor not park in front of exhaust if that's where it ends up.

Your building line is 2 ft to property line? No Setback?
    If you were talking about the dryer exhaust would you still care?
    Your vent is not going to do anything except keep your neighbors car a little warmer in the winter, if that.
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

All legal options are diagrammed in the installation manual that comes with the furnace. There are limitations on length of pipe and equivalent lengths for each elbow. Most HE furnaces do allow for vertical venting. I can't speak to the complexity of that option in your case but the one constant is that all pipes must pitch back to the appliance so any condensate water travels out the route of the burner condensate. Distance from windows and height above roof will all be dictated by national gas code and any tighter, local restrictions. Your installing company techs should have the answers you seek. But just know there are some limited options generally.

Quote Originally Posted by harikamboji View Post
    We are having a new gas furnace installed this coming week.
    Our old oil furnace was vented up the chimney, but the high efficiency new gas furnace apparently cannot go up the chimney, but has to vent out the side of the house.

Unfortunately, the next door neighbor's driveway is about 2 feet from the side of my house, and they park their cars right there. I feel bad spewing exhaust right into their property.

If there's nothing to be done, they'll just have to deal. But are there other options, like installing a vertical pvc pipe or something that carries the exhaust up to the roof? I plan to ask my contractor as well, but I would be most appreciative if any of you have thoughts about this.

Many thanks!
    My brother had a new gas furnace put in and he didn't want the usual plastic pipes sticking out of the wall, so they installed a vent that basically kept the two intake and exhaust pipes very close to being flush to wall and then put some type of cover plate over them. It looks very neat and tidy, much better then 2 pipes sticking out of the wall, and for your case it keeps them closer to your building.

thorton
    So the old man who was about to bed the young beauty put cotton balls in his nostrils and in his ears. When his young lover asked what they were for he proudly proclaimed... "if there are two things i cannot stand it is the smell of burning rubber and a women screaming"

Many thanks for the comments.
    Yeah my house is 2 ft from the property line on that side. It was built 100 yrs ago.
    I haven't found the installation manual online (I think their website is down right now or something). It is the York YP9C. But I'll keep checking.
    A dryer vent wouldn't be so bad I guess. But I'm in a cold climate and I expect the furnace to be running more or less continuously throughout the winter.

What type of exhaust comes out of the vent? Presumably it is a bit stinky like my rinnai water heater vent.
    Is it true that it cannot be vented up the chimney?

Exclamation

Chimneys are not designed or approved for positive vent pressure nor the corrosive condensate. However, you might be able to use the old chimney's flue as a pipe 'chase' for the pvc venting. You cannot have anything else venting into this chimney and it must comply with the new furnace's listed instructions and be approved by your local building dept. ASHRAE stds. require a min. 10 ft set back from neighbors so vertical sounds like your only choice.
    HTH,

You are responsible if it damages their cars paint, or if ice forms on their driveway and they slip on it and injure themselves.

The exhaust from the furnace can damage the car's paint.

Why can't the contractor run the vent pipes down the chimney.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

as others have said, if chimney is being abandoned they can use it as a chase if it is a straight shot and large enough for the pvc pipes needed.

You may not be able to get the install manual online, as many mfgs dont supply them to consumers. Have you considered sitting down with the install team before any work is done and going through the installation manual together so you all can get a firm understanding of what will be done?

A contractor I had wanted to run the pipes vertically up against the sidewall and then exit above the roofline. It wasnt an option I considered.

My install manual says that vertical venting is the preferred method.

I am also in Maine. Your concerns are valid. I would be very leery as to venting over the driveway. You are required to be 10 ft above any public or private walkway with the exhaust from a gas appliance.

Have this discussion with your installing contractor. As stated, there are legal ramifications if you side wall vent this close to a property line.

just an observation, this h/o says there getting a cond furnace installed coming this week. what kills me about this whole thread, is you'd figure the contractor, who sold this job, scoped this installation out before starting this job, so my question is this, why is this h/o asking all these questions, like didn't he ask the contractor who's installing the equipment all his concerns. i just don't get this thread! to the home owner, DID YOU HAPPEN TO ASK YOUR CONTRACTOR HOW HE PLANS ON INSTALLING THIS FURNACE AND VENT! AND IF YOU DID

CON'T. what did the contractor say! if these issues are bothering you, why don't you ask the contractor your concerns? what did the contractor say regarding the vent installed. i don't get this thread.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast