Thread: compressor oil

compressor oil

this is just a general question, not about any particular kinda system.

is there any system design or circumstance when it would be normal to see bubbles in the oil sight glass of a compressor ?

thank you

Are you talking about small bubbles in the oil or oil aggitation? Foaming?

Bubbles or turbulence observed in the comp oil sight glass is normal right after start up especially with low temp coming out of defrost. If you see the oil bubbles/foam under normal load and run conditions then you have liquid refrigerant dumping into the sump. Not a good sign.

I was talking about all of it dangpgt97.

right out of refrigeration school I worked for a guy that's been doing refrigeration for a very long time. He didn't believe in the need for things like superheat, subcooling and things like that. He always said just feel the pipe. This one should be hot that one cool. He was like that with most things so I'm just trying to get better information and get rid of some bad habits.

Thank you guys

Sounds familiar. When I got out of school, I was teamed up with the owners father. He was semi retired. Anyway, each job we would go to he would do the same. Feel the pipes and say what was wrong. The last job we went to he condemned 27 txvs. The owner went to the job with another journeyman and found the problem was not the txvs but something simple. Don’t remember what it was but his son convinced him to fully retire.
    Careful learning bad habits.

c