High efficiency furnace exhaust direction

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I hope this is the correct place for this post.

I would like to slightly re-position the exhaust outlet on my furnace. Currently it faces away from my house (as normal I believe). I would like to rotate it 90 degrees so that it runs parallel to the house. I would like to do this because the exhaust is on a narrow stairway on the side of my house and anything I can do to gain back 2-3" would be very helpful. At the moment I have to dodge the exhaust vent every time I use the stairs. All my clearances are fine. Closest window is 7 feet away.

I can't find anything either in my furnace installation manual, or on the web that indicates that this orientation is incorrect.

Thanks,

Brian

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by TherealbrianF View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I hope this is the correct place for this post.

I would like to slightly re-position the exhaust outlet on my furnace. Currently it faces away from my house (as normal I believe). I would like to rotate it 90 degrees so that it runs parallel to the house. I would like to do this because the exhaust is on a narrow stairway on the side of my house and anything I can do to gain back 2-3" would be very helpful. At the moment I have to dodge the exhaust vent every time I use the stairs. All my clearances are fine. Closest window is 7 feet away.

I can't find anything either in my furnace installation manual, or on the web that indicates that this orientation is incorrect.

Thanks,

Brian
    this is JMHO, but this is something that involves your furnaces, by products of combustion! this is something a H/O shouldn't be doing himself. my suggestion is call a qualified HVAC co. and let them hadle it. JMHO. again this is your furnaces by products of combustion, a HVAC professional is someone who you should call!

Don't have a code book in front of me but I am pretty sure having an exhaust that close to a stairway or walkway is against code. Remember there is carbon monoxide coming out of that exhaust. Anyone know the code off hand?

In my area you need to be 7' above a walkway. I guess either way its against code. Sounds like its just a matter of gluing a 90 on the exhaust. Your "tech" will have to count up the 90's and review the venting chart in the manual to make sure that last one wont put the equivalent length over manufacturers spec. Also, the mist will put a nasty spot on your siding over time (maybe even eat it up), this is why I never install them that way, even if the customer asks.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman