Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question

I have a quote for a Carrier 38EYG060 5-ton 12.5 Seer Puron heat pump. If you add a Carrier Infinity FE4ANF006 variable speed blower coil with confort heat and humidity control does the Air Handler make the unit have a higher than 12.5 SEER. This unit is about the same cost as the TRANE XL16i but seems to have much lower SEER rating.

As I posted on another thread, I live in the deep south with hot, humid summers. The costs or higher rated Carrier units are just out of my price range. I do plan to live in the house for many years to come.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

J. D.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The Carrier EYG is a builders model.It not rated with the FE airhandler and Infinity,for that they should have matched it with another model..

The trane 16i is their two speed/capacity.The Carrier comparable is the 38YDB series.

Both great systems,the Infinity Control with GE 2.5 version motor,are superior in controling your indoor hunimidity in the summer.

Both have put out some of the worse junk over the years ; especially in the 1980's. With both, youre paying ALOT of money for thier huge advertising budget . There are other brands out there that are good, will last just as long, offer the same efficiencys, and allow you to have a ton of money left over to help put the kids thru college and your wife a Health Club membership ! (and you, a nice tool set ...)

There is not rating for that condenser with a FE fan coil but there is a rating for a FV fan coil which is just one step down and has a ecm motor. It rates at 12 SEER. You should be less concerned with the SEER and more concerned with the EER and the HSPF which are 9.95 and 7.8 respectively. This way you can compare apples with apples.

Dave in NJ

infinity system will out perform trane and you can do a lot more with the infinity control. but the true infinity system is a 18 seer system and your getting a quote for a 12 seer with infinity air handler versus an 16 seer trane.
    get apples to apples.
    carrier is better than trane but the same seer system if tranes cheaper who cares. unless it has the true infinity system then i would go infinity.

Carrier is making some nice systems with excellent control, I would buy Carrier over Trane.

Trane!!! Everybody who's anybody knows Trane is the big boy on the block.

carrier does not make a true 18 seer. it is all sales crap
    go to this web site. in put your model numbers and see for your self.http://www.ariprimenet.org/ari-prog/Direct.nsf/SearchAC?OpenForm&AutoFramed

Originally posted by airconman
    Trane!!! Everybody who's anybody knows Trane is the big boy on the block.
    Now just were did I put my waders?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

True indicators of efficiency are hspf and eer, our utilities and state tax credits/rebates will be using these ratings and doing away with SEER begining January.
    Equipment combinations are the deciding factors with both brands when it comes to these ratings. I am surprised at the choice your Carrier dealer gave you, the infinity when matched properly will deliver over 9 hspf. Good luck and get the information from each dealer, they should be able to show you a performance chart from there product catalogs then decide for yourself, you'll get alot of brand bashing here.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

It is kind of funny that the post for people up north are pro carrier. But people like my self posting from the south are pro Trane. I am not aware of how they do things in Organ
    but in Texas we live and die by SEER.

Talking decision

To end the Trane vs. Carrier debate -- one, it is a moot point because I do not trust the Carrier dealer. Gave me odd quotes on builder grade unit. On true Infinity system is over $1000 more than Trane XL16i. I know Carrier's are good but if you don't trust the installer then they are eliminated.

I posted this on another thread but below is my choice. And it is not a Trane or Carrier. I know some will disagree but it comes with 10 year parts and labor warranty and is by far (in my opinion) the most cost conscious.

Goodman 13 SEER with variable speed airhandler. It comes with a 10 year parts and labor (yes I confirmed this with dealer) warranty. I have done some math on past years heating & cooling bills and even factoring in increases in electricity rates and am almost certain that the higher SEER tranes (XL16i or XL19i) would not pay for themselves as compared to the Goodman ever or it would take 20 years.

I trust the firm that would install the Goodman actually more than the Trane. They have been in business 40 plus years and are Lennox certified. They have installed Lennox for many, many years, but the owner that I have known for years told me that for the money you just cannot beat the Goodman deal. He says that he puts in about 70% Goodmans and 30% Lennox. He also said that if he put the unit in now, he would for free come at peak of summer and do a check on system and to see if running at peak effeciency. He also said he would do the same thing over a year from now at peak winter season.

Since I am not dissatisfied at all with the 10 SEER Goodman AC unit that I currently have (it has no variable speed air handler) I think the comfort of the Goodman 13 SEER with Variable speed air handler will be just fine. I see no need to pay the extra $2000 plus for the Trane XL16i or XL19i.

Anyway, that is my decision as of now. Unless someone can warn me or give me better advice, I pull the trigger on this tomorrow morning.

Thanks so much for your replies.

J. D.

Sounds like you know what you want, trusting the installer is definitly the most important thing. Good luck

PS Its Oregon, pronounced Orygun. Go horns!!!!
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast