+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag-lites

Post Likes
    Every mag-lite flashlight I have ever bought seems to have a bulb contact problem.

I'll have it for about a month, then the bulb will start dimming, ETC and you sometimes have to shake the light to get it to light at all.

Anyone else have this problem with mag-lites?

Post Likes
    I have probally 20 mag lights and have only ever had trouble with one

Post Likes
    Last one I bought was a total POS, didnt work half the time, if I left the switch on it would come on a few minutes later just sitting there, went through the whole thing looking for a bad connection, eventually through it in a dumpster

Post Likes
    I've had the same mag lite for almost 10 years. Didn't have a problem with it until just a few months ago when the batteries leaked. The acid ate away part of the reflective surface and corroded the bulb base and contact. I cleaned it up and put new batteries in. It worked ok then started randomly flashing on and off and sometimes I had to bang it to make it come on. Finally took it apart and found thats when I found the corroded contact and bulb. Cleaned them up with some steel wool and now it works just fine.

What's my post count now?
    UA Local 636

Post Likes
    Been using mags for decades now. Once in a while I have to rap one to get it to glow better, but with the abuse I put my tools through, I can't blame the product.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I think the minimags are junk. They just chew through batteries and bulbs, always broke when u need them. I've gone to the multi led lights. The big mags are OK though.

Post Likes
    Never have cared for the mag lights. Have a few of the Led's and cant wait for the prices to go down. Cant believe how much longer the batteries last.

Post Likes
    The mag lights have a lifetime guranty. Just send it to the company and they will fix or replace for free.

Post Likes
    I refuse to buy another Mag Lite- ever. I have about 7 or 8 of them in various sizes. I might have one that works. Pieces of crap, in my opinion.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by duct beater
    The mag lights have a lifetime guranty. Just send it to the company and they will fix or replace for free.
    I ran over one with my car...
    They replaced it.

Post Likes
    have used mag-charger over 15 years. replaced battery pack a few times besides that trouble free

Post Likes

I onl use Pelican Lights.

Buy um at Graingers, sporting goods stores, dive shops, etc. It's a plastic case light. Nice if I need both hands and hold it in my teeth.

http://www.pelicanproducts.us/default.aspx?Affiliate=1

I use the 2aaa

[Edited by spotts on 11-04-2005 at 02:47 PM]
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    I bought a Pelican when they 1st came out and the pocket clip broke. I was pissed since it was a cool water proof light.

Mag lights just like any other tool you get lemons and excellent ones. Like most here I probably have a dozen Mag-lights. The AA's and AAA's give problems occasionally but have never had a problem with the bigger ones. I also have a rechargable Mag. For a $120 dollar flaslight it has a bright ass light but my battery went bad the 1st year, and cost $40 bucks for a new one.

A year or so ago I started using the led pen light by Streamlight and it's killer but then got a Fluke volt detector/led light that clips on your hat or whatever when using and it is my favorite now.

Post Likes
    have had a million mini mags and they all turn into crap over time. lights dimming even with new batteries and bulbs.
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

Post Likes
    those little streamlights are the bomb...had two that lost connection at the bulb after being dropped,but now they include a plastic shield that fits over the bulb end (I tape that piece to the light with some electricians' tape) keep it in my pocket next to pocket screwdriver... comes in super handy and works good
    Da Threadkilla

Post Likes
    I was just talking with my help today abot how junky they are.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Been using mags for decades now. Once in a while I have to rap to one to get it to glow better,
    What kind of lyrics are you using when you rap to it?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    There is an aftermarket kit out there now to convert mag lights to LED .... "IT ROCKS !!" batteries last 3-4 times longer , I have dropped it, rolled it off the roof, name it! it takes a lick'in and keeps on tick'in I picked it up at ARS for 12.00 well worth it
    I'l fix it if it takes every penny you have got!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mrbillpro
    What kind of lyrics are you using when you rap to it?
    guh-guh-guh Geee Unitt

Post Likes
    Originally posted by azdwight
    There is an aftermarket kit out there now to convert mag lights to LED .... "IT ROCKS !!" batteries last 3-4 times longer , I have dropped it, rolled it off the roof, name it! it takes a lick'in and keeps on tick'in I picked it up at ARS for 12.00 well worth it
    $12!! I paid $20 for mine. Still wort it though. I don't think its much brighter than new bulbs and new batt's, but the batteries last longer so the brightness does too. I'm still on my first set of batteries with mine, and after the last couple jobs, I know I would have changed batteries if the old bulbs were still in it.
    TB
    Everyone knows something I don't.

2 Chronicles 7:14
    14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in