Thread: osha

osha

what is osha 10 hour training and why and where do you need it?

it's just 10hrs worth of OSHA training laws and regs, good to know. most commercial companies do it.

how do i accuire it?
    Last edited by bdrolet; 07-27-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: no reason

First you should list where you live for more accurate info when asking where to find something. Usually any company requiring an OSHA card will pay for and give you directions of where in your area you can get the training. Will be the most boring 10 hours of your life btw.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

If you are required to go to training with pay...do It.
    Bob O. 84,Pa.

hearthman is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*

Thumbs up do it

It is a one time deal--no recerts needed. It covers "construction", which includes installation of HVAC equipment. You'll learn the BASICs of :scaffolding, ladders, power cords, railings, fall protection, PPE, etc. For instance, if you are humping a unit into a house with improperly protected stair openings, *someone* could get fined.

There's a lot these courses do not cover such as safety at your office and in your vehicles. Then again, you also have DOT physicals to drive trucks, local fire marshal safety inspections and all sorts of other gov't regulation and recordkeeping to hassle you. Some of it is good and will keep people alive. None of it will keep anyone "safe" since that is an imaginary term.

Take the course if possible. yes, its a long day but its a once in a lifetime gig.

We were required to attend the OSHA 10 hour safety course to keep our HVAC license. It's a state law here.

The first time it was offered here, years and years ago, it was at a local community college and was paid for by my employer. Once you have taken the 10 hour course there will be shorter update classes to keep up with changes.

As mentioned, it is extremely boring for the most part. They will show you some gory pics to keep you awake though.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    It is a one time deal--no recerts needed. It covers "construction", which includes installation of HVAC equipment. You'll learn the BASICs of :scaffolding, ladders, power cords, railings, fall protection, PPE, etc. For instance, if you are humping a unit into a house with improperly protected stair openings, *someone* could get fined.

There's a lot these courses do not cover such as safety at your office and in your vehicles. Then again, you also have DOT physicals to drive trucks, local fire marshal safety inspections and all sorts of other gov't regulation and recordkeeping to hassle you. Some of it is good and will keep people alive. None of it will keep anyone "safe" since that is an imaginary term.

Take the course if possible. yes, its a long day but its a once in a lifetime gig.
    I have had to do the 10 hour, 3 times. Was with different companies but always the same OSHA crap and place in Baton Rouge. I just assumed it expired after a few years. Shouldn't they have a record in case I somehow need yet another card? (have no clue where my last card got off to) I really hate doing that class.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766