Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BEER cooler (walk in) not cold enough

HI, new to forum thank you for opportunity to post

I have been working on a beer cooler for a couple of days and can't seem to get it dialed in. ended up replacing tev and seems to work absolutely fine while i watch it but looses temp overnight. R 409 superheat 8-10 suction pressure 20-25. a little ice on distributer tubes, but none on evap has 2- 50 min defrost cycles on timer, liquid line solenoid Any thoughts? Thanks

Is the condensing unit indoors or outdoors? Does it have a receiver? Does it have a head pressure control valve on it? If so, does it have enough refrigerant for it to work properly when it needs to?

condensing unit is outside, it does have a receiver, and a pressure control. before i changed out the tev, we had a couple of record setting heat days up hear in MN. Dew points in the 80,s it did kick out the high Pressure which was set at 300# manually reset it and box never got below 39* low p was 33-35 on those hot days, hi side was 270-275 thought it was possibly a little overcharged. checked superheat on evap was 17. adjusted tev (sprolan) but had to turn it 2.5 turns seemed alot got it to around 11 12. dist tube froze up overnight, but not coil. then changed tev set super heat at 10 yesterday, went back today for a checkup, box was 38 superheat 12-13, made slight adjustment let stabilize for 25 min. then it was hunting between 7 and 10. Also adjusted head pressure control High 325, low i think was 15/35 can't remember low off hand, called supply house and looked up where it should be for 409
    Last edited by pushpipe; 07-27-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: forgot info

just got a text from bartender that it is temping at 36* shooting for 33. see if the old box will hold her.

When I asked about a head pressure control I was thinking of a headmaster type valve located between the condenser and the receiver that maintains a minimum head pressure when it gets cold out. I was thinking that maybe it was getting cold at night causing your system to act like it was undercharged. I know it hasn't been getting cold at night lately, so I doubt that is your problem. Your head pressure is way off the chart. Raising the hpco setting isn't a good idea, you need to get your head pressure down. Have you tried washing out the condenser coil with water? Even if it looks clean it could still be plugged up. Also check to make sure you have the right condenser motor and prop, make sure it is spinning the right way, and make sure the prop is positioned correctly. Also make sure your condenser air isn't getting recycled. If you have a head pressure valve, it could be bad and bypassing the discharge gas into your reciever when it shouldn't be, or you could have a broken dip tube in your receiver, or you could have non condensibles or just be way overcharged. Good luck.

Are all the system components properly matched? (Evap, cond unit, TEV, etc). Might be icing due to the cond unit never shutting off. Is the cond unit undersized? Not saying its the problem, but something to look at anyway.
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better"

no, it is not a matched system, size wise its close. washed out the condenser coil today, seems to be running between 36 and 42 (owner was checking it every 30 mins today) as far as a head pressure control there isn't one for the cold weather. It has a pressure switch that just shuts of the cond. fan. it is on the valve on the receiver. going to pump out 409 tomorrow silfoss in a tee for that. the valve not being fully back seated has a slight glow to it. pull a good vac on it and put in new filter dryer, and ref. any thoughts on switching to mp 39? thats what they said at supply house today.

about 7 8 years ago someone put a new evap unit in it, 2 years ago new comp & receiver

Your head pressure is way to high. Will not matter which refrigerant you use till you get that in order.
    How did you figure your charge ?
    Is there a sight glass ?

i haven't done anything to the charge. head pressure has come way down since the new tev. think it was around the 160 mark low was around 20 shoulda posted that the looked way better after txv change, sorry

160 psig =118* & 20 psig = 24* Those numbers look good if ambient was around 90-100* @ 10* TD you air temp. would be around 34*
    Is there a sight glass ?

yes there is a sight glass right after the liquid line dryer, clear. it was 85 with 75 dew point today. what about the ref change? box still floating a hair higher that what i'm hoping for (34 ish)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast