Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

300 Ton York YT VSD upgrade

1 Down 1 to go!!. Hot as hell in that chiller plant!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

excellent...post before and after

r404a

Nice work.

Bet that was a fun project. Both the installation and comissioning / tuning.

Lots of parameters huh!?

Looks good nice job.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    Nice work.

Bet that was a fun project. Both the installation and comissioning / tuning.

Lots of parameters huh!?
    Very little tuning. Few adjustments, Had a surging issue but correcting some water flow issues and a 10 minute @75% pulldown limit corrected that. Damn near push button and walk. It was 105 outside today. Condensor water temp got up to 75 and it was backed down to 55 or so HZ. they are already seeing a big difference in the KW too. Next week the ice bank comes online. Still cannot figure out why they put one in since there is no off peak rate here. The only thing that it will take advantage of is running their air cooled machine during the night when its cooler but I still think the KW per ton on the ice plant will be higher than the water cooled machines running with these VSD's. More pics to folow on the 400 ton machine. Waiting on the electricians to hook up the power. Did you notice the double Y strainer? Water here is pretty hard and their towers are sitting on pits so I figured it was a matter of time that things would start clogging up. Now thry wont need to do a shutdown to clean the strainer.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    excellent...post before and after

r404a
    Had some before pics but I loaned my camera to my daughter and since she doesn't give a crap about other people she removed them so she had more room! The next time she wants a camera I think I'll give here that old 110 film camera! LOL. I'll look in my old hard drive and see if I have any from several years ago. I figured why sit the drive on the floor and take up space that is already a bit limited. So I made a rack out of some angle and pipe. The rigging was a nightmare and the other beam that I have that is longer is a 4x8 steel beam,, Screw that. Didn't feel like blowing a tube so we improvised. The 400 ton was even worse. There is a 60 hp screw air compressor sitting right in front of the machine. Has the towers on the gantry kinda crooked but I just put a few anchors on the floor to help keep it in place. More to come. Hopefully I'll be hitting the start button tomorrow afternoon or monday at the latest. Thanks for the compliments!!

Where do I get some of that snazzy caribbean blue Jork paint?
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Ya tite work on the rack. So the factory did their homework and actually provided a turnkey upgrade. Awesome.

What is the ramp up acceleration on start up? Real slow and easy? Do the guide vanes still function normally or in conjunction with the motor frequency?

Definately like the factory blue paint , always thought I would paint an auto project that color to be different.

Double wye...

I see that.

Are the electrical / electronic components water cooled??

And if so cond or chilled?

I know they're cooling the vfd's with more than just air now.

And Carrier lists a refrigerant cooled vfd.

Anyone to explain that?

Ya tite work on the rack. So the factory did their homework and actually provided a turnkey upgrade. Awesome.

What is the ramp up acceleration on start up? Real slow and easy? Do the guide vanes still function normally or in conjunction with the motor frequency?

Definately like the factory blue paint , always thought I would paint an auto project that color to be different.
    Not factory provided. I threw it in. They are a very good customer. It was the least I could do. Needs to bea factory option though. Very soft start.I think it's about 1 hz per second to 30, Settles for a bit and resumes going to 60 about 3 hz per second. The Adaptive capacity control board controls the drive, Vanes and the Harmonic Filter. Once it reached the temp setpoint it will start ramping the drive down and works the PRV to 100%. When a surge is detected it maps those conditions and avoids them. Fac paint,, I work for JCI. Anyone can order it though.

Double wye...

I see that.

Are the electrical / electronic components water cooled??

And if so cond or chilled?

I know they're cooling the vfd's with more than just air now.

And Carrier lists a refrigerant cooled vfd.

Anyone to explain that?
    Copper blocks with an internal water jacket for the IGBT's and the SCR's. Plus ther is a coil in the upper cabinet for the internal cabinet temperature. Cond water cooled. has a shell tube heat exchanger so that everything with the drive is isolated. Uses the pink york inhibitor/SSS coolant. As far as refrigerant cooled vsd's, I don't like them. If something happenes and the internals start sweating there can be issues. There is a whole lot of high voltage in those drives.Plus refrigerant cooling a vsd doesn't make it any more efficient. Trane has one too and I saw one melt down due to sweating. Plus if you have a Refr cooled vsd and the machine is running at low capacity or with a high chillwater temp (hot start) it would not be cooling as well. I believe in the KISS principle. Get to complex and the problems start setting in.

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Where do I get some of that snazzy caribbean blue Jork paint?
    Baltimore Parts/ York parts. Stuff covers real good too. Not like that crummy krylon.

yorktek - thanks for answering my ques.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast