Thread: Where's my quote?

Post Likes
    I know that I'm setting myself up for flaming, but what is the reason that heating companies would take the time to come to my house and then never submit an estimate? I need a new furnace and air conditioner. Two out of the three companies who have come out have never sent us a bid.

Believe me, we have always treated these people with the utmost respect. I have a good idea of what brand and type of furnace I want, and I didn't waste the guys' time by letting them talk up furnaces that I knew we didn't want. The only reason that we went beyond the first and only estimate was that the price was about twice as much as we were anticipating. If the other guys asked if we had talked to anyone else, I didn't lie. We only called companies who were on the manufacturer's web site.

Should I feel rejected by this or is it just a matter of companies being able to pick only the easy jobs at this busy time? One guy said that our job would take a week to complete. Is this possible?

Post Likes
    It is possible.

Did you do or say anything making them think price was your #1 objective.

I know that this turns me off of a customer.

Post Likes
    Price is not my #1 objective--I want an efficient furnace that will keep a constant temperature and I expect to pay big for it. But that doesn't mean that I can't compare a couple prices. I'm not going to let a few hundred dollars stop me from going with a more professional outfit.

I think I'm gonna get a wood stove and forget the whole thing.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by casual observer
    I'm not going to let a few hundred dollars stop me from going with a more professional outfit.
    Your my hero!!! If all HO "home owners" had your attitude this business would be a lot better.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes

Here's a thought...

Call the contractors who looked at the place and ask them where is their bid, or why they decided not to bid.

Post where you are and someone here may want to get in touch with you.

Post Likes

Thumbs up Let's BE REAL

Originally posted by Nevada
    Here's a thought...

Post where you are and someone here may want to get in touch with you.
    ____________ County, Michigan
    I believe it is now narrowed down to a 200-Mile radius.

House size _,_00 Sq.Ft. ___ Age
    Replacement Budget $ xx,000.

Miss Casual,

I let you know if ANY1 in MI would even be interested.

Your _B_U_S_Y_ Estimator,
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I'll be darned if I am going to call any of these jerks and ask them why they aren't bidding on my furnace. I'm not that desperate.

I hope you guys don't cruise this forum for jobs--that would just destroy my faith in humanity.

Post Likes
    Aren't you supposed to educate the consumer before you are turned off by having them say that price is their number one objective? I suppose when you go into purchase a car, you not only pay retail but let the dealer throw on 3-5 thousand worth of add-ons.

For the majority of the population, cost is a factor. I'm not going to shell out 10-15 thousand to get a 20 seer trane just so I can have the best Heat pump on the block. The fact is, I might never recoup the initial cost in electrical savings and most non-professional people on this forum know that.

Casual Observer, it's just the way it is nowadays. I've had the same thing happen to me and I figure the ones who don't call back do not deserve my money nor would I trust them to do the job right. If they can't call back, I figure I'm better off.

Example, i called a gutter place this summer to have gutters installed (based upon the recommendation of my contractor). They came over, gave me a fair quote and I accepted the offer without getting any other quotes. They told me it would take four weeks to get to the job which was no problem. Five weeks later, I called and they said they would be able to get out there at the beginning the 6th week. Nope! The 9th week came by and I get a call at work from the guys looking for my house to install the gutters. I apologize to the workers but inform them that the contract stated four weeks not nine so no thanks. Funny thing is, if they would have been up front with me in the first place or at least contacted me to tell me there would be a delay, I would have stuck with them.

Post Likes

Cool

Sometimes we are swamped with work and need a friendly reminder.

Post Likes
    two thoughts come to mine here
    1- your job is over those guys heads and you are better off whith out them
    2- you are to edjucated and know what you want and about what you are willing to pay and they were scared off again you are better off with out them.
    dont be offended because you didnt recieve a bid from a guy that is undisierable. this is why you did your homework.
    you had one out of three that stood up to the presure because he was not trying to pull one by you. this is where an edjucated coustomer has the avantage. get anouther bid from some one else just to make sure you are getting yhe best price. i am sure there are other companies out there that wont be scared off
    dont be offended be thank full they backed out

Post Likes
    Thanks Tinknocker for being honest. I wish more people in every business were more honest. Fortunately I have found an honest HVAC guy and I'm sticking to him like glue and I tell everyone of my friends to use him. I found a great cabinet guy who was subbed from my contractor and I've given him approx $45,000 in business due to referrals in the past 2 months. Quality and Honesty will always win out. It just may take awhile to find them.

Post Likes
    No doubt about it, Stevio. And thank you too, Tinknocker, very nice words.

Post Likes
    How often would you say that companies within a brand (or not) communicate so they don't bid against each other?

I know it happens in other fields.

Nladan

Post Likes
    Originally posted by casual observer
    We only called companies who were on the manufacturer's web site.
    It's a little off topic to the main thrust of this thread. But calling only "OEM approved" companies will cause you to miss some quality contractors. Some if not most of the OEM's will list contractors based on the volume they do, not the quality of their work.

I happen to be a dealer of X (Don't ask.). I know for a fact that none of the big time X dealers around here can hold a candle to the work I do. The X wholesaler's tech support will tell you as much. But am I listed? Pfft. I haven't sold my soul to the consolidator business model so I don't qualify.

Post Likes
    I think that from the consumer standpoint, specially in this industry, it is awfully hard to find adequate and competente information that would enable one to choose a contractor, even though, according to every pro in this forum, the quality of installation is crucial.

In my personal experience I made a big mistake, but corrected it ontime. When I came to the realization that I needed a new system, the easiest thing to do was to call a big department store. The guy was helpful and seemed to know what he was doing, but he was only selling equipment. Then I found out that that store contracts out the installation to other people, and I backed out. I decided to become more informed and started reading. One person in this forum recommended someone in my area. I called them and left two messages with the secretary. I then went there in person. Still no call. Several days later they called me. Just like the OP I thought "if this guy has a potential customer in me and does not call me, what will it be if a I ever need warranty service right away?" Of course I did not go with that guy.
    I ended up going with a contractor that a friend of mine recommended. They were honest with me, did not promise anything they could not deliver, and gave me a fair bid (not the lowest). However, this is not easy, and I am not out of the woodse yet, as they will finish the installation tomorrow (today for some of you).

To sum up, HVAC is better left to the pros (note to all those DIYs!). But since Joe Average only changes his hvac system maybe twice in his lifetime, there should be more information that would enable consumers to distinguish between a hack and a pro.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in