Thread: Online heatpump vendors

Post Likes
    So the biggest message that I have taken from this board is to get a good installer. Fair enough. There seem to be many ways that a hack job can be done.

Does anyone have comments or experience on purchasing the major components online? The prices seem good. Assuming the unit is properly sized, and the installer is capable and experienced, why not?

Post Likes

Thumbs up Competitive Bids

Originally posted by vanisle
    Does anyone have comments or experience on purchasing the major components online? The prices seem good. Assuming the unit is properly sized, and the installer is capable and experienced, why not?
    Installer can actually buy at lower cost than Home Owner.

MOST installers will not address projects where equipment is provided By Others.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Because a GOOD installer isn't going to want to install a customer provided unit. He'll have enough business on his own plus he'll know that it isn't good business to lose the revenue of a heat pump sale without making it up somewhere else such as higher labor. He'll know that his overhead is the same so he could lose money if he doesn't.

Post Likes

Thumbs down Buyer BEWare

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    ... He'll have enough business on his own, plus he'll know that it isn't good business to lose the revenue of a heat pump sale without making it up somewhere else such as higher labor. ...
    ELOQUENTLY Spoken ! Thank You, MR. Mills.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Originally posted by vanisle

The prices seem good for a couple reasons.

First, there is no warranty obligation, Second, when you select a local installer his price generally includes his labor. I doubt you will buy it any cheaper, have any level of assurance it is the correct equipment, find an installer who will put it in and take full responsibility for it.

Let's just say it's a bad idea.

Post Likes
    Vanisle which brand of heat pump do you have in mind purchasing over the internet? Just curious.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes

You can buy one from Lowes ( in some states ) no questions asked.

They even have chart sq ft house => ton / BTU of equipment.

I pissed with my installer, since they equipment that has been properly heating and cooling my house, is 1 ton / 21000 BTU less than suggested by lowes.

After all Lowes - knows, right??

Post Likes
    Some of the online sites I looked at are selling at MSRP so where's the savings? A authorized install and service dealer will often sell the unit below retail as he has a margin to work with.

You can buy SOME units (Goodman, Coleman) at contractor pricing if you know how the supply house system works. But I won't explain how to do it here as it will piss off all the pro's.

Supplying your own equipment doesn't make any sense unless it's a full DIY job and we won't go there.

Do you take your own steaks to a resturant for them to cook?

BTW, did Lowes come out and survey your house? Or did they go off a square footage chart. There may be factors your installer sees that Lowes doesn't resulting in less capacity needed.

[Edited by gus99 on 11-03-2005 at 10:03 PM]

Post Likes
    Steve: No brand in particular. Although there aren't many that are sold online. I think most are from the US so the added logistics probably make it prohibitive for a Canuck anyway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in