Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

It's back! I have a 90% Goodman furnace that has a problem I simply have not been able to figure out. It started last winter, and now has resurfaced again this year.
    I will start from the begining, as I inherited this service call from another company. The basic problem is this when the homeowner wakes up at approx. 7am it is cold in the house. They have a white rogers prog. stat, that has been changed sveral times. I have went through the programming several times and am positive it should maintain the house at 72 by 7am.
    The flue has been fixed as it had a sag in it and I first thought it might be water in the flue in the early morning hours causing the pressure switch to not make.
    The pressure switch was new in 2004, before I inherited this call.
    The inducer moter was changed last year as it was pulling over its rated amperage.
    The static presure has been checked on the furnace, it is at a.6 total. Filter is always clean.
    Gas pressure has been checked this year was at 3.46, has been very close to that every time i have checked it.
    The furnace is rated at 10000 and have clocked the meter, it was very close to its rating last year when checked.
    I have the homeowner trained to check for a diagnostic code when it is not working in the mornings, and we have all failed to ever have a diagnostinc code of any kind.
    I have ran the furnace up seven even ten degrees by the stat and let it satisfy and have never even once seen it not get there, has always satisfied the stat and shut off.
    The furnace control board was given to me by Goodman last winter to install, and that was put in to no avail.
    I am out of ideas, the model # is back at the office if needed I will provide it to you, the furnace is only two years old, and had been a huge frustration to some very nice home owners, I would appreciate any help from anybody.
    Thanks in advance, Mark

Clean the trap.

Sounds like a problem with the drain (or trap as suggested) and only shows up after long run times and is drained by the time you get there.

Trap was leaking upon first trip out so it has already been replaced, but nice thought.

Did you check all hoses and the drain line?

Hi, this is Robo, keep trouble shooting and you should find the problem.

Spend the night if you need to....

Yes, and to no avail. I really beleive that there has been virtually no stone left unturned on this furnace. My only other thought might be along the lines of whether a secondary heat exchanger could be possibly stopped up and on a long cycle could give me any problems, but am not real familiar with Goodman. I know that ICP had problems last year with this kind of thing but the result was a rollout limit trip. but that was manually reset so you knew what the heck was going on.
    Trane...we sell trane as well have even gone so far s to talk with my FSR about this furnace but have them stumped as well, Goodman tech support was as usual no help. I am hoping to find somebody on this site with more knowledge than I and help get to the bottom, thanks for your input.

Robo...homeowner made that offer, but never took them up on it. Was hoping maybe you have some similar case and could give any insight on what maybe I have not checked already.

You might change the stat to non prog. just to make sure.
    Good luck and maybe Robo will have an idea.

Try to blow out the HX with some compressed air or CO2.

Is this unit in an attic??

Well...for all of the long posting, the only thing I have data on is the gas pressure. So, we can rule out a problem with the gas.

I will assume you did not mean 10,000 btu since Goodman does not make a 10,000 btu furnace. Did you forget a zero or mistype the first number?

We need to know;
    * the model of the furnace
    * vent pipe sizing and termination
    * temperature rise (I don't like .6" SP)
    * way condensate has been run to the trap assembly
    * vent pressure reading on start and after burner firing

If I had to make a wild assed guess, I'd say it is the stat that is at fault. Is this a power stealing stat? Does it have a "C" terminal?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

we had the same problem with the high eff yorks and found that the exaust was creating to much condensate and had to put a y in the exaust vent pipe and put a barbed fitting from the bottom and run 1/2 inch tubing. make a loop in the tubing to serve as a trap and run to condensat pump or drain which ever you are using .

Had to do that with Goodman/Amana furnaces if they are installed in the horizontal, left discharge position.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast