Hybrid View

Hmm

Is a 10 yr parts & labor extended warranty worth the extra $$$. Looking @ Carrier Performance or Infinity duel fuel pkg unit. Or, is it more of an extra profit maker for manufacturer and dealer?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Worth the money regardless of model or brand.

I don't see where there's a big profit in them,but I guess that depends on what the dealer sells it for.We usually include it the top of the line with very little markup on the warranty,as an incentive .

I think they are worth it - especially on the more complex models. Not too much extra.

However, be aware you may be tied (forced) to use the contractor who sold and installed your unit for the duration of the warranty.

All the ones I know wil let you switch to another approved contractor ,with a written request.

Now some "cheap" warranties form some brands won't pay enough labor for us to work on those devilish brands.

Originally posted by ????
    Is a 10 yr parts & labor extended warranty worth the extra $$$. Looking @ Carrier Performance or Infinity duel fuel pkg unit. Or, is it more of an extra profit maker for manufacturer and dealer?
    I hardly ever go for an extended warranty with any purchase, but this is one time I would. On an investment of this size, you'll have 10 years of piece of mind.The only thing I would check is what is tied to the warranty, as in a twice a year service agreement,etc. and what is the cost of that? Like was stated, you'll be married to this company, so make sure they're good before you sign on the dotted line.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Big profits in extended warranties. The odds are the equipment will last the 10 years with proper maintenance. BTW most extended warranties require you to have proof of annual maintenance performed by a contractor. If you don't your warranty becomes void.
    Even if you use the extended warranty the manufacturer or insurer has your money upfront.

[Edited by kevinmac on 11-02-2005 at 05:23 PM]

Carriers and Trane doesn't ,but it's worth checking the fine print.

Originally posted by dash
    Carriers and Trane doesn't ,but it's worth checking the fine print.
    Dash - I believe you are an authorized Carrier Guy?

I read my Carrier extended warranty last week and I am pretty sure it said I had to use my original authorized installer no choice. I would rather not after the problems I have had with the install, but I am giving them a chance to make things right with my recent infinity system.

I did not see an "out" to change to another authorized carrier dealer. I will re-read my Carrier warranty tonight to find this language. Good to have an out - Thanks.