Should filter grills also be use with an electronic air cleaner to keep ducts clean or is this overkill?

Overkill.

Your duct isn't designed for that much of a pressure drop. You will not move enough air, and you will have equipment issues.

Not to mention 2 different places to remember to clean and/or replace filters. Most people I know have a hard time remembering 1, lol

Once saw a guy that thought he was gettin' over by not paying for trion 4 " filter in his air bear and instead used four 1" filters in series. I saw this while servicing his HTCU problem. How do ya think that happened?
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Meant HTCO
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Thumbs up Maintenance

Originally posted by hvac7
    Should filter grills also be use with an electronic air cleaner to keep ducts clean or is this overkill?
    Do you perform regular maintenance on an existing E.A.C.?

SURE, BUT
    Use a LARGE area ( 2" or 4" pleated ) lower efficiency,
    pre-filter to minimize S.P.

MEASURE AIR FLOW and S.P.

However, have you ever seen a grille that would be a match for 4" deep filter?

Customizing would be needed or place the filter at the air handler or upstream of the E.A.C.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I sort of thought you could install standard filters in the retun grill and remove the prefilters from the EAC. But the bottom line is you still have to maintain both.

I wouldnt do this unless the return duct is clean and sealed. If it is, then its an option. If you move to just the EAC, eventually you will get some dirt build up in the duct. IMHO

I have an EAC, and a wall return grill (16x25x1) filter as well. I'm assuming that since the filter is sucked in pretty tight, when the blower kicks on, that it's too restrictive. I've been using a Filtrete micro-allergen filter.

In my setup the air passes through the return air grill filter 1st, then travels 7 ft passing through the EAC, then to the blower.

Am I better off:

1) Removing the prefilter on the EAC?
    2) Removing the return grill filter?
    3) Replacing the return grill filter with a less restrictive one? And if so any recomendations as to which filter? Do those cheap blue fiberglass filters at Walmart have a low resistance?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    do 2 or 3, ,Filtrette is too restrictive .Feel the air flow at the farthest grille from the equipment,with and without the filtrette,to feel the difference.