If I decide to get a variable speed furance (Lennox G60V),I'll get a P3741100 Totaline 7 day programmable thermostat. The contractor says it can operate on single or two stage. Do I need one that's specifically two-stage or will this be just as good?

Thanks so much.

If you're spending the money to get a 2 stage furnace, then yes, get a 2 stage stat. Let the stat decide when to fire 2nd stage and when to turn it off, not some timer on the furnace's circut board.

two stage thermostat

Thanks, amickracing. That was what I was afraid of. I'm trusting the contractor on everything else...and he recommends the Totaline thermostat.

The 374-1100 is a nice stat and yes, it is 2 stage.

I had that same Furnace when I was in Toronto. The installer had it on the 10 minute timer with a cheap Magic Stat. I wired in a new 2 stage Honeywell myself and it made a world of difference to me. We used the setback features for both day and night and really appreciated the way it overshot the temperature a couple of degrees on recovery because of the cold walls and whatnot. Others have complained about the overshoot though.