Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with the oil man. We service about 2000 oil customers and we are 1 of 2 companies that service oil fired equipment. The other companies here send that kind of work our way. There is so much to know about oil burners you would be surprised. The wrong nozzle pattern will frighten you when it lights off. Wrong air fuel mixture can soot up a unit in a matter of hours. Stack switch or primary control, pump settings, filters, pump screens it is a fairly long list of things you need to know and have just to service one burner. The bacharach kit costs about $ and if you don't use it or a similar kit you are doing it wrong and many here do it wrong. Unless this type of work is going to expand for you I would beg it off on another. Beckett has very good courses on this if your interest grows. Good luck.

[Edited by Lusker on 11-21-2005 at 08:16 AM]
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Thumbs down oil

If you take that apart and you say you no little about the set up you will be flying in some on from this site to put back all the $$$##. Think about the call at 3am asking for help.

Where are all you guys from that havent had much experience with oil fired? Just curious because my area seems to be more oil than gas heating used, in the northeast that is.

Originally posted by blown67
    Where are all you guys from that havent had much experience with oil fired? Just curious because my area seems to be more oil than gas heating used, in the northeast that is.
    Eugene, Oregon. Oil is fading fast with gas and heat pumps taking over.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

My burnham boiler is about tens years old and now that my house is mostly insulated top to bottom, as opposed to none at all when I bought it, I feel will be oversized for my needs, my question is advantages price/mechanical wise when I replace to go oil or gas. I have no gas in my neighborhood so it would be lp, and would have to have it delivered same as oil. I still want to stay with the hot water base because I only have one room left to put new baseboard in. My last 2 houses were gas hot air, not really crazy about the hot/cold cycling but they were not 2 stage or even close to top of the line models, it always seemed like it was hot or cold. Also wife always said it was to dry, even after the humidifer was added.....

Delayed ignitions and lots of soot if not set up correctly. I try to stay away from gas if I can because I just dont do enough of it. I recomend the same.

Originally posted by shorty 6801
    How do they differ from a Natural Gas furnace?

Just go to the north east, especially Philadelphia suburbs. Oil burners rule the roost here.

Northeast is where 75% of all fuel oil is sold in the USA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12