Opinions on Carrier Models - Please help!

Hi! I have a question regarding Carrier models and would love a professionals opinion on them. We need to replace the a/c and furnace units, which are located in our attic, and the following models have been recommended (this is for the upstairs only - approximately 2,000sq):

Carrier Puron condensing unit - model number: 24APA542
    Carrier horizontal coil: CNPHP4821

80+% AFUE Gas Furnace/16 SEER
    Carrier vaiable speed, gas fired furnace - 58CVA110-120

Honeywell Aprilaire 2210 media type air cleaner also included

I've had a couple of contractors come in saying that our furnace is one of the worst on the market (the a/c and furnace are fron 1994) - I just want to make sure we are not replacing them with models that have a reputation of breaking down a lot as well. I am so new to all of this, I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

Best regards,
    Kim

Are you still looking for opinions on these Carrier models?

carrier equipment

Carrier dealer here, you said this is for the upstairs only at 2000 square feet, not sure where your at but 3.5 tons is alot for that amount of space, as is 110000 btu furnace, has the contractor done a manual j load calc and confirmed this is what it takes or is he replacing whats already there?, those models are nice stuff, 15 seer a/c that when used with the cva variable attain 16. Id really want to know/see why they sized like this as you could be wasting both money and comfort on un-needed equipment

Kim

what is your location?

what size and eff furnace are you replacing? what size AC are you replacing?

just from the info provided, I would say you are being oversized on furnace.

here are the numbers. I would drop down one size on the furnace.

3256944 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 15 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24APA542A31 CNPH*4821A** 58CV(A,X)090-16 41000 12.8015.00

you will want the Infinity controller. no substitute.

all of this is quality and reliable HVAC.

IMO

Yes you are doing the right thing by replacing the system.
    If installed correctly a 4ton system is proper for 2000sqft @ 500sqft per ton of A/C.
    If the 110,000 BTU furnace is upstairs, that might be too much heat if you live in the south. A 90,000 BTU furnace should be available in the 58CVA model. (Your local dealer should know for sure)
    I'd go with a complete Infinity system. The CVA furnace has the best technology carrier has to offer. You want to match that up with an Infinity capable A/C as well. If you also purchase the Infinity control, your new system should qualify for a $1000.00 rebate and a $500.00 tax credit.

Hope all goes well,
    courtesy, http://www.suddensvc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kd_1203 View Post
    Hi! I have a question regarding Carrier models and would love a professionals opinion on them. We need to replace the a/c and furnace units, which are located in our attic, and the following models have been recommended (this is for the upstairs only - approximately 2,000sq):

Carrier Puron condensing unit - model number: 24APA542
    Carrier horizontal coil: CNPHP4821

80+% AFUE Gas Furnace/16 SEER
    Carrier vaiable speed, gas fired furnace - 58CVA110-120

Honeywell Aprilaire 2210 media type air cleaner also included

I've had a couple of contractors come in saying that our furnace is one of the worst on the market (the a/c and furnace are fron 1994) - I just want to make sure we are not replacing them with models that have a reputation of breaking down a lot as well. I am so new to all of this, I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

Best regards,
    Kim
    Kim,

I am not a professional, but I do own Carrier furnaces and condensers. In my opinion as a homeowner, I think Carrier manufacturers a good product in their Performance and Infinity product lines.

The Carrier equipment comes with a 10 year parts warranty. You may add a 10 year labor warranty directly from Carrier for a additional cost. Some Carrier dealers will include the labor warranty as part of their quote.

If you are going to spend the money on an Infinity furnace, then I suggest you look into the Performance 24APA7 condenser. This is a two stage model which will provide better comfort than the 24APA5 you listed in your post. Adding the Infinity controller would compliment a very nice system assuming it is properly sized and installed.

The sizes you show appear to be oversized. Have the contractor explain to you how he came up with these sizes. A detailed heating and cooling analysis should be done. If you are getting good responses, then interview additional contractors. Finding a good HVAC contractor is not easy.