+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Widely accepted "best" multimeter?

Post Likes

Widely accepted "best" multimeter?

I'm a maintenance tech and started out with a Fluke 902. I have loved this meter for about a year and a half but now it is very sketchy with the capacitance readings(have to slowly change the angle of the meter till the display will start bouncing around and finally settle on a reading). Voltage readings still work fine which leads me to believe it's not the leads. I need to get a new meter as I check capacitors constantly. What is a widely accepted "best" multimeter without getting too carried away on the budget. I am partial to fluke and will spend money for having the best(or close) tools. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Post Likes
    I have the Fluke 116 and its very good, more accurate than my old meter.

EPA 608 certified: Universal

3. Likes AdamB liked this post.
    Post Likes
    FIELDPIECE

nuff

said
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I side with Fluke in this "Ford versus Chevy" type argument.

Post Likes
    Fluke works in all climates. FP good in warm climates.

Post Likes
    I'm already leaning towards fluke. That's what I've used and am comfortable with. I was looking more for model suggestions...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WeebMan View Post
    I'm a maintenance tech and started out with a Fluke 902. I have loved this meter for about a year and a half but now it is very sketchy with the capacitance readings(have to slowly change the angle of the meter till the display will start bouncing around and finally settle on a reading). Voltage readings still work fine which leads me to believe it's not the leads. I need to get a new meter as I check capacitors constantly. What is a widely accepted "best" multimeter without getting too carried away on the budget. I am partial to fluke and will spend money for having the best(or close) tools. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.
    Have you tried new batteries yet?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Have you tried new batteries yet?
    I have not tried new batteries. The low battery indicator has not popped up yet so I didn't even think that could be the cause. The last time I changed the battery I went with a duracell rather than the cheap ones my employer supplies. So I really don't think that is the issue. The leads concern me most as I've already had one pair crap out on me. But it works fine for voltages so that kind of messes up that theory. Maybe I'll go ahead and get some new leads and change the battery. I like the meter so if it could go back to working properly I'd just assume keep it. The only thing I don't like is the cost of the fluke temp clamp. It's around 150???? When it went out on me I went with another brand of clamp (field piece maybe?) but I don't like it nearly as much.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    FIELDPIECE

nuff

said
    Good one. He said best.

Post Likes
    I have not tried new batteries. The low battery indicator has not popped up yet so I didn't even think that could be the cause. The last time I changed the battery I went with a duracell rather than the cheap ones my employer supplies. So I really don't think that is the issue. The leads concern me most as I've already had one pair crap out on me. But it works fine for voltages so that kind of messes up that theory. Maybe I'll go ahead and get some new leads and change the battery. I like the meter so if it could go back to working properly I'd just assume keep it. The only thing I don't like is the cost of the fluke temp clamp. It's around 150???? When it went out on me I went with another brand of clamp (field piece maybe?) but I don't like it nearly as much.
    If you ask around here there are plenty of meters that act up but still turn on with out a low indication

I believe resistance and capacitance requires the most juice to run properly vs voltage but maybe somebody has a better answer.

Post Likes
    As far as the temp these are new from Cooper (54011-K) and if they are anything like the Thermistor type 4011 it will be good thermocouple alternative for taking pipe temps.
    I got the 4011 thermistor probe for fifty bucks so I would guess the same or less for the thermocouple version.

http://www.cooperinstrument.com/prod...et.asp?pid=381

Post Likes
    I think itsiceman is right... A meter requires more "juice" for measuring resistance and capacitance then other functions as the meter is providing the power (for lack of another word) rather than just measuring the voltage or amperage provided in the circuit.

I'd work from least expensive to most... battery first, then leads, then think about a new meter. And if it is the meter in the end, you still got a fresh battery and a spare set of leads.

As far as a new meter goes, you can pick up the Fluke HVAC combo 116/322 for about $250 and it's a great meter... and a Fluke!

As much as the price of that pipe clamp 80PK does suck, it's again worth the money... I truly believe you get what you pay for. I love mine, and if it broke tomorrow, I'd buy another.

Post Likes
    I've looked at that meter combo but after comparing prices, it seems like a downgrade from what Im using(902). Either that or its a REALLY good combo deal. As for the temp clamp.. this 60 one I have got malfunctioned the second day. Now I have have to bend the wire to get it to read. And its not very snug on liquid lines.... guess Ill get the fluke clamp again... :'(

15. Likes campbell2h3 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Do you carry a traditional multimeter along with the 902? I just went with the combo cause the price was right... the 322 is not true RMS however the 116 is. All that I really use the 322 for is amperage. So yes, I carry two meters. I guess I see why you would consider the 322 a downgrade from the 902. Guess it's all a matter of what you are used to and what you like. Were you happy with the 902 other then your problems now? How long have you had it? Looks like the 902 goes for about $230 compared to $260 for the combo...

Post Likes
    I LOVE the 902. Haven't Rly used another meter for an extended period of time however. I've had the 902 for 16 months...

Post Likes
    Can't imagine that your fluke would have problems after only 16 months. I would try the battery. Let me know what you find... Could help all of us.

19. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    fluke fluke fluke fluke fluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke flukefluke fluke fluke fluke
    did i mention that i prefer fluke?

21. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I LOVE the 902. Haven't Rly used another meter for an extended period of time however. I've had the 902 for 16 months...
    Send it back to Fluke and have them fix it. What is their warranty anyway? I have had two Flukes for a year now with no problems. Also have two Fieldpiece that are over five years old with no problems.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    I've had Fluke DMM's for a while. I used to use the cheapo Craftsman, but decided to bump up to Fluke about 11 years ago with a Fluke 16. I still use it today, and have never had the slightest of issues. I've had my 902 for over 2 years, and the 117 for about a year. Not one issue with any of them. "knock on wood"
    Not to bad mouth FP, but some other techs I work with are always complaining about how their DMM's are malfunctioning. I tell them to get online here and talk to the FP customer support, but you can only lead a horse to water.
    I do like that FP has more functions needed for HVAC in their comparable meter. The price is also much lower. The 902 definitely fell short on their label "the HVAC techs meter". Millivolts and Megaohms would have been nice.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    fieldpiece. i think mine is the 72 with the back light button that is great when your in an attic holding a flash light and trying to test electrical components you dont have to move the flash light from the unit to the meter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in